Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Results 13th Nov

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Quote:

Welwyn Garden City 3 Holmer Green 0
Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division
Turned up at the ground at around 19:20 to find floodlights on and two teams warming up - always a good sign! However there was no sign of anybody taking gate money. Myself and another hopper hung around the entrance and waited.....and waited......watched the teams and ref come out and line up......eventually we saw a club official and asked about who we should pay. His answer was that due to illness they were shortstaffed and that we should just go on in and enjoy the game. We told him that this seemed, well, wrong, but he wouldn't take any money.
We then asked about programmes and a boxful were produced, and again they wouldn't take any money!
The game itself was quite scrappy until midway into the first half when WGC took control scoring three before half-time, including one of the best executed volleys I have ever seen.
I am sure that somebody must have switched the entire Holmer Green team for a different 11 players during the break because the way they made a game of it bore no resemblence to their lacklustre first 45.
Unfortunately they had left themselves too much to do and were unable to get a result (Apart from a defeat of course which is a result I suppose)
Anyway that was ground #399. All being well #400 should be Colliers Wood United this evening.

A groundhopper on another's site attended Welwyn Garden City v Holmer Green on Tuesday and gives an interesting summary.

It's good to read that they appear to be doing proper programmes again!

Originally Posted By: Football Man
It's good to read that they appear to be doing proper programmes again!

It's also good to see that you can be sincere if you want to be and everything doesn't have to be a dig at Kentish Town. I often find the goings on at Welwyn Garden City somewhat puzzling, they have the potential to be a big Club but always seem to shoot themselves in the foot like another Club I can think of.

HTFCew - Not at all, why would I have a dig at a Club I support, it's purely 'Sugar' who is sadly reining the Club back when if he simply stepped aside as Chairman and 'we' were allowed to progress who knows what could be achieved. The trouble is he's too power crazy to do that.

It's funny how you see eveything differently to almost everyone else, time after time!

That's because 'Sugar' is so good at pulling the wool over people's eyes time after time including yours, he is a legal Solicitor afterall and comes across as kosher but he has never fooled me.

Originally Posted By: Wader
It wasn't the full first team, but it wasn't a full reserve team either. Perhaps someone chose it on the internet? grin

Here's a report on the game from Cranfield United's Website, they seemed good value for the victory:

Tuesday 13th November
CRANFIELD UNITED 1 BIGGLESWADE UNITED 0 (aet)
North Beds Charity Cup (First Round)

Manager Craig Connell will have been well pleased with this excellent performance by his young side. This time they were not overawed by the oppositions Premier Division status and despite lacking their two key strikers they pulled off what was probably the Clubs best performance in years. From the kick off they stood their ground, contested every single ball , their work rate, particularly that of Adam Woodin, Marc Keogh and Grant Heywood, was impressive and at times they played as if they were the senior side.

The entire first half was very evenly balanced as play flowed freely from end to end with very few clear cut scoring chances being created. The outcome however could have been different but for a flash of brilliance in the Cranfield goal by Simon Dent when he save a close range shot from Paul Lawrence in the 16th minute. In the second half Cranfield slowly controlled more and more of the play as they stepped up the work rate and with a little more composure Marc Keogh could have given them the lead on a couple of occasions. It was however the visitors who again came closest to scoring when in the 60th minute they hit the bar with keeper Dent well beaten.

As the game ran into extra time Cranfield proved to be the fitter side and the visitors defence under continuous harassment and pressure were forced to commit a series of desperate fouls just outside the penalty area. Eventually they paid the price and the breakthrough came in the 108th minute when Andy Allison found time to spare from a majesterial defensive performance to pop up in the opposing goalmouth and knock home a Vasco Diaz free kick from close range.

Team: - Simon Dent, Gary Wambeek, Carl Hebbs, Tom Phillips, Andy Allison, Adam Woodin, Marc Keogh, Andy Schofield (Karl Willard 82nd minute), Jack Goodacre ( 26th min Miles Parrock), Grant Heywood, Vasco Diaz.