Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Non League Paper Website

RalphC

Also on the Non League Paper website.

Great comment by Steve Whitney (hope he doesn't mind me repeating it)...

"

Steve Whitney comments......

As someone who has been a victim of 'censorship' from a club myself a few years back, albeit as a programme editor, I sypathise greatly with the Canvey lads, who I know love their club.

It is a sad day when freedom of speech is not allowed - even when it's an unofficial website. If it had the club's 'official' version, then sure, the club has more of a right to say what should and shouldn't be allowed to stand.

In my own case, I was critical of the performance of the team in a certain game. The manager didn't like it - even though 99 per cent of those reading it absolutely agreed with me!

It sounds as if the Canvey lads have done something similar. Perhaps the truth hurts!

We had a situation where a Goole AFC website was banned because of critical comments last season and, whilst I don't like criticism for criticism's sake, surely an unofficial voice has a right to say what it likes, within reason.

Those who know me from my time as editor of Team Talk magazine might recall that I have never been a fan of fanzines, purely and simply because I don't like the way they often have a go at people who try hard and work tirelessly for their respective clubs.

However, in Canvey's case it seems that all they were doing was being critical of the team and the manager - a target that, as far as I am concerned - is fair game. After all, it is the supporters who pay the wages generally through gate money and sponsorships etc.

This is a situation that must not be allowed to continue, otherwise we shall have a scenario where all websites and all written media was subject to approval by clubs managers and chairman before publication! "