Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

How Well Are We Doing?

• British legion vet indeed....cheesy%20(2).gif Good shout but I aint that old.!!!....But I am enjoying the banter !! And for the record I think Jay Curran is one of our hardest working players and he doesnt allways get just reward for it, the next few weeks are definitely going to test the squad and hopefully everybody will get to play their part ...But I do think if Ellis does play he will score 30 goals and put another 600 on the gate..!!
  • nice to see some decent debate on here for a change....:smilewinkgrin:

• British legion vet indeed....cheesy%20(2).gif Good shout but I aint that old.!!!....But I am enjoying the banter !! And for the record I think Jay Curran is one of our hardest working players and he doesnt allways get just reward for it, the next few weeks are definitely going to test the squad and hopefully everybody will get to play their part ...But I do think if Ellis does play he will score 30 goals and put another 600 on the gate..!!

I knew you would appear Keith! dance%20(2).gif

I thought the age thing might of upset you abit, especially of being accussed of being a BL Vet!

Agree with you that its nice to see some decent debate on here!

• British legion vet indeed....cheesy%20%282%29.gif Good shout but I aint that old.!!!....But I am enjoying the banter !! And for the record I think Jay Curran is one of our hardest working players and he doesnt allways get just reward for it, the next few weeks are definitely going to test the squad and hopefully everybody will get to play their part ...But I do think if Ellis does play he will score 30 goals and put another 600 on the gate..!!

And the rest!!!!

You cant beat a good debate!!!

Will we see a new forward join the ranks of the coming days? Who knows, but if it makes us stronger for the play off challenge it has to be a positive!

That's an almighty tease seeing as Lee Boylan is available! :grin: Could we afford to bring him back?

I see John's comments in the Echo that he's been talking to new players, lets hope they can play down the right.

Why down the right matt???????? our top scorer is robbie king who plays right midfield and i think the relationship in football in terms he has with frank is nearly as good as the one between dooms and rhodesy????

Because I think whilst Kingy is one of our best players this season, I feel he plays best down the centre and see him as a natural replacement for Dobbo in the long run. He links up well with Everett because King was right-back, Everett was centre-half and Kerrigan was left-back whilst they were all at Heybridge Swifts.

Kingy has made the right side his own after chopping and changing with Curran and he seems settled there, but once Leon Gordon gets fully fit or we bring in a natural winger, I think Kingy will revert back into the middle.

I don't think him being top scorer has anything to do with him being played out on the right, he's poached some great goals and is a confident penalty taker.

Edited by Matt H

Although 10 of Chesney's 13 goals have been from the penalty spot!

I must admit that Frank Everett has really impressed me over the past couple of months, after a not so great finish to last season and start to this season, for me he has now become one of our most consistent performers.

I still think that an out and out right winger would be a good player to try and bring in, someone who can beat left backs for pace and deliver good quality balls into the box. As I said previously, that Nakashima at Harrow certainly meets both of these criteria from what I've seen of him. I do like Rob King and Jay Curran when they play in this position, but I think both of them are more effective elsewhere on the pitch (centre mid and up front respectively).

I still think that an out and out right winger would be a good player to try and bring in, someone who can beat left backs for pace and deliver good quality balls into the box.

You've hit the nail on the head there!

Frankie has settled in at right back now, and as bestbarnone says, his link up and understanding with Kingy has been as effective as the link up down the left with Doomz and Rhodesy. I would like to see an out and striker, someone to replace James Rowe as I believe if he was still here we would probably be in the play-off places right now. The relationship between Healesy and Rowe was just starting to look formidable with Danny holding the ball up and laying it off as he does so well and still getting his fair share also!

if leon was fit now how would you put him in the team though, there's no way robbie is anywhere near as effective as dobbo or gamo in a footballing way or physical way, dobbo has still got a good couple of years left so rob as a replacement is a bit premature i feel, where would he go if leon was fit?? At the same time i don't see leon as an out and out winger who will go round people at pace and whip great balls in the box either??

If our whole squad was fit, I'd look at playing Leon Gordon wide right. I like Robbie King and he's made a massive contribution this season without a doubt, but for me Leon does (or did) have the pace to worry defenders and would often deliver good balls in, or drive in himself and pick up his fair share of goals.

It's a tough one though as you say, because you wouldn't want to leave an in form King, Dobbo, or Game out of the side....

I think the reason Kingy plays wide right now is because he did so well playing in Dobbo's role, you dare not drop him. Someone like Isa could've easily slipped in there or John could've kept Jay Curran out there regardless of Rowe's departure.

I disagree about King not having the pysicality to do Dobbo's role though, that's why he impressed me so much at the start of the season and undoubtedly held his place. You only have to look at when Clydie Roberts held that role to know you don't have to be the biggest bloke in the World to play in that position. I'm sure if Dobbo and Matt Game swapped roles, Game would still do a good job.

If everyone was fit now, I think on current form it would be Leon that wouldn't make the starting XI, but had Leon not been injured at the start of the season I think Dobbo would be sitting on the bench still with Kingy still claiming the no. 4 shirt.

i can't agree with that matt, there is no way dobbo would be left out, he is one of the most talented footballers this club has or will ever see, he has a fantastic engine(although a little lazy at times) he can tackle he can pass he can head he can defend and attack, uses both feet can shoot from distance in open play and from dead balls and can get in the box and get you a goal or two and at the same time can stop them the other end too, he is all round a great footballer!!!

Well whether it's Kingy or Dobbo, at least we're able to discuss the merits of each player and why they should be in our team.

Having three key players to fit two central midfield positions is a good headache to have!

Exactly, I'd rather be discussing which players we can't leave out as opposed to which players we have to get rid of!!!

Rob King was ill today and it was good the see that the reshuffling that John carried out was effective.

• 1 month later...

So far so good on this, with us picking up 5 wins, 2 draws, and a defeat since this topic was started.

We've got two sides in the relegation mix next in Croydon and Aveley, and we've seen first hand recently that neither of these sides should be underestimated. However, as I've said before, if we want to make a push for the playoffs then we have to be beating teams near the foot of the table, and I personally think that 6 points is a minimum requirement from these games.

Don't get me wrong, these will both be very tough matches, but if we want to get near the playoffs come the end of the season we have to go into these games with a ruthless mentality.