Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

One word to sum it all up...

Quote:
Firstly I'd like to say that I honestly believe that Gravesend is a footballing town. As someone pointed out above, when the circumstances are right (Canvey & Villa), people will come out to watch the fleet en masse. The amount of excitement generated around in town's pub's before and during England internationals only adds to this theory.

Most of my mates who's are in their twenties and early thirties all support Premiership and League sides and attend matches as regularly as finances allow. Unfortunately due to the large amounts of television revenue Premiership clubs now receive many clubs turned their backs on the paying fan, who actually considers watching football as a lot more that staring at a television set in the comfort of their own homes.

This situation needs to be capitalised on by the club. I know for a fact that there a great many people in a similar situation as my mates who with a little bit of effort will soon be boosting attendance figures and club funds.

Well KC you have made an exetremely good point in regards to the state of footie today, and how we can look to increase our fanbase longterm.

Like yourself, out of the 9 or 10 guys I regulary attend the Fleet with , the story is pretty much the same. We spent our formative years on the Fleet terraces, but as soon as we were old enough we were all drawn upto the bright lights of London and we stood on the terraces of various London clubs. These teams were the ones that we followed and the Fleet were the team that we read about in the reporter and turned up to the important games for. Over the past 4 or 5 years, for varying reasons we have all started coming back down to the Fleet, some like myself for all games, others making appearances when their other team is away etc.. However, when we started going up to the top clubs, there was terracing ( so we could all stand together ), you could decide on the morning of the game whether you wanted to go or not, and if you did go the admission prices were still reasonable.

The above is a bit of a ramble, but I don't think that the kids of today have that choice. Expensive all seater stadium and the increasing popularity of footie amongst the 'prawn sandwich eating ' classes have put paid to that.

If we can get the 8 -13 age group interested in attending games at the Fleet now, there is a much greater chance that they will stay with us.

If they stay with us, they will then attract their friends and it grows from there. The Fleet will become the place they watch footie, and they will follow there other clubs in the papers and on TV.

A little speculation now, could go a very long way in building a brighter future.