Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Refereeing Decison - Please Explain

Wonder if someone could explain this decsion to me, maybe Roons. Before I start just want to say Bethnal Green came back from 2-0 down at half time to win 3-2 with 13mins remaining, great result for us. Barking should have wrapped the game up but missed a couple of chances. Having said that we really should have been level at the break.

Anyway back to the point. At Mile End there is a running track around the pitch so when the ball goes off sometimes the players have to retrieve it. Last night the ball goes off near the Barking penalty area. Our forward goes to get the ball. As he approaches the pitch our left back picks up another ball and takes the throw on. The forward at this stage drops the other ball and continues onto the pitch. Now I thought the ref would do one of three things. Continue play, blow the whistle and tell the thrower to wait until the other player is back on the field or if the throw had been taken blow the whistle and tell the thrower to retake it and allow the other player back on.

Well no. He decided to book our player for coming back on the pitch without permission. Now to me that is an absolute joke. Maybe because he was being assessed he thought that is what he had to do. But please where is the common sense? Throughout the game there were time and again occassions where one or two players were retrieveing the ball or waiting for us to give them one and at the same time coming back onto the pitch. I tried to talk to the ref at half time but he was so arrogant and just said that is the rule. With that sort of attitude where he just wouldn't admit to being wrong it is no wonder players lose their rag. His attitude I believe led to the Barking captain being sent off and several players from both sides being booked because I can't remember one bad tackle in the game.

To compound the decision I highlighted he then took the play all the way to Bethnal Green's penalty box to do a drop ball. Even the linesman didn't understand the decision. So the throw on is at one end of the pitch but he restarts the game with a drop ball at the other end of the pitch. Can someone explain why that is?

Wonder if someone could explain this decsion to me, maybe Roons. Before I start just want to say Bethnal Green came back from 2-0 down at half time to win 3-2 with 13mins remaining, great result for us. Barking should have wrapped the game up but missed a couple of chances. Having said that we really should have been level at the break.

Anyway back to the point. At Mile End there is a running track around the pitch so when the ball goes off sometimes the players have to retrieve it. Last night the ball goes off near the Barking penalty area. Our forward goes to get the ball. As he approaches the pitch our left back picks up another ball and takes the throw on. The forward at this stage drops the other ball and continues onto the pitch. Now I thought the ref would do one of three things. Continue play, blow the whistle and tell the thrower to wait until the other player is back on the field or if the throw had been taken blow the whistle and tell the thrower to retake it and allow the other player back on.

Well no. He decided to book our player for coming back on the pitch without permission. Now to me that is an absolute joke. Maybe because he was being assessed he thought that is what he had to do. But please where is the common sense? Throughout the game there were time and again occassions where one or two players were retrieveing the ball or waiting for us to give them one and at the same time coming back onto the pitch. I tried to talk to the ref at half time but he was so arrogant and just said that is the rule. With that sort of attitude where he just wouldn't admit to being wrong it is no wonder players lose their rag. His attitude I believe led to the Barking captain being sent off and several players from both sides being booked because I can't remember one bad tackle in the game.

To compound the decision I highlighted he then took the play all the way to Bethnal Green's penalty box to do a drop ball. Even the linesman didn't understand the decision. So the throw on is at one end of the pitch but he restarts the game with a drop ball at the other end of the pitch. Can someone explain why that is?

The guy sounds like a prize knob. If that was the case, no player would be allowed to leave the pitch to retrieve a ball.

sounds like a unneccessary harsh decision can i sum up my attitude to referees in a nutshell:

most in the ESL arent that good and some are really poor but for years now players and managers have been screaming in their faces 'you're fcking [****!!****] ref' and it doesnt seem to be improving their game,now while ive seen many poor refs cant really recall seeing many biased refs so if they are bad for both teams can we this weekend just keep on with it after all most teams and players in the ESL are hardly world class so why do they expect the refs to be,need to add though that most Basildon United first teamers this season have been a credit to the club-Mike Edgar,Jamie Pooley,Kyle Joseph-Paevie,Aaron Hunwicks have had a handful of cards between them.

Basil-Don I have made a conscious effort not to get on officials backs this year. We have had some that have been ok, not great but I have just had a chat with them over a few decisions and thats fine. Last night overall they were ok. The linesman on our side, Paul, had a laugh with me. I asked him a few questions and he answered willingly. To his credit when I was annoyed by the ref booking our player for the said incident he said, 'Jenko just relax mate otherwise he'll send you off. It's not worth it'. And with that I was fine. Now if all offcials were like that then there wouldn't be half the problems we get. What annoyed me most was that even though the ref let me speak to him he was like a school teacher and had that attitude that he couldn't be wrong. He was just one of those speak when spoken to refs and that attitude never works. It was refreshing however for the assesor to say he had got things wrong.

as you say jenko by passing on your criticisms in a more constructive manner they might actually have more impact, got to say watching our Under 16s in their league cup final against Brimsdown Rovers was a refreshing change the ref wasnt perfect but the lads from both teams just got on with it and the benches protested against bad decisions in a proper manner. in most ESL matches officials are being screamed at for 90 minutes which can hardly help their concentration levels.

Basil-don I agree that we should maybe not scream at officials from 60 yards away but then I agree with Jenko that if they can't admit they are wrong or allow anyone to talk to them then what do they expect. They have the hardest job to do in football but that is my opinion and I wouldn't want to do it

We ALL make mistakes and half the time it is through sheer frustration at our own deficiences and the officials are the easy targets I suppose which is wrong. Now our game last night Bobby Port who had already been booked for a late tackle deliberatly handled the ball in the area for which a penalty was given. That offence is an automatice yellow card hence he would have been sent off. This never happened, it was late in the game and we missed the resulting penalty anyway. What got my back up was I asked the linesman politely if he could confirm with a yes or no answer whether in the laws a deliberate handball was a booking. He responded he couldn't tell me as he wasn't the ref !!! What chance do we have ??

Finally, and this has happened to us twice in the last two games. One of our players has been fouled and is lying flat out on the floor on both occassions the referee (different one in both games) has made booking the fouling player first before even checking to see if the injured player is OK. Thankfully both times the injuries weren't too serios but surely players welfare should come first before handing out cards.

For the record I had a right scream up at the ref last night about this and the handball, which was wrong and I apologised to him infront of the other officials & assessor after the game for my reactions. Fair play to him he admitted he should have priorItised our players welfare first and also should have booked Bobby Port for handball.

such inconsistancies are of course very frustrating,i guess all we can do is hope the assessor marks them down and the club gives them an appropiate marking,i do feel that too many people are getting into refereeing for financial gain,do 5 matches a week including 2 on a Sunday and thats nearly £300 a week in your back pocket,if they can book 30 players in them matches thats another £300 for the County FA,anyway you've started me moaning now !!