Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Basildon United v Hullbridge Sports

a groundhopper reports:

BASILDON UNITED 1

Hullbridge Sports 4

Essex Senior League

Att : 45

The Stadium, Gardiners Close

Admission : £3.00 (concession). Programme : £1.00. Coffee : £1.00

The fact that Gardiners Close is already starting to look like an "ex" ground, does not augur well for this struggling club. The programme states that they have until June to find people willing to invest in the club and enable it to continue; otherwise today's fixture may well turn out to be Basildon's final competitive game.

I sat in the sunshine at a table outside the social club and chatted to an elderly supporter who had regularly walked to the ground for many years and whose afternoon watching the Bees had become an important part of his life. He was hoping the club would survive as he didn't know what he'd spend his time doing on a Saturday otherwise. "Not shopping with the wife. Definitely!"

Inside the slightly cramped clubhouse, the only keg option available was Guinness as the pipes needed cleaning. "There's nothing wrong with the canned beers," I was cheerily informed. I was quite early so waited while a programme was stapled for me before moving back outside and watched the players drive up in their second hand BMW's and exchange greetings before making for the dressing-rooms. One or two fellow hoppers were also present and I linked up with Steve Jackson when we'd completed our ritual wander round the ground and taken the requisite photos. It was good to catch up with Steve again and chew over a few well-aired topics with him including the usual mutual interests!

The match started brightly with Hullbridge Sports quickly taking the initiative with a couple of dangerous shots, the first of which ricocheted between the woodwork before being cleared and the second whistled past the left hand upright. Despite it being against the run of play, Basildon took the lead after 19 minutes when the number 9 found himself with his back to goal as a lofted pass came his way. His glancing header was good enough to elude the keeper who had left his line and was consequently stranded.

Hullbridge should have equalised seven minutes later but, following a goalmouth scramble, the final shot was cleared off the line. However, there was no chance of saving the goal scored by Newman after 35 minutes when he unleashed a terrific shot on the run which gave the keeper no chance.

The second half saw the visitors exert more pressure and they were rewarded with three more goals which came as follows :-

Goalie tried to palm out an inswinging corner but missed it and the number 11 touched the ball home (66);

Number 6 headed in with the help of a deflection (71);

Newman should have scored again with a well driven shot, but the number 10 stuck a foot out and took the credit (86).

So the result, as possibly anticipated, went against bottom placed Basildon. I wonder whether the club's motto : "Semper Superne Nitens" (Always Striving Upwards) will inspire everyone involved here to renewed survival efforts before the June deadline ...

Fairly modest/circumspect pub count today but for those who might be interested :-

Basildon - "Moon on the Square" (Wetherspoon's) - Titanic Ship of Dreams

Horndon-on-the-Hill - "Bell Inn" (GBG) - Crouch Vale Brewer's Gold

Stanford-le-Hope - "Rising Sun" (GBG) - Cottage Hawker Fury

(This post was edited by Trevor P on Apr 15, 2012, 9:59 AM)