Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

WOKING 0 ASHFORD 3 !!!

Swifty

You read that right. Our proud lads beat a team one division below the Football League, four divisions above us, and the Surrey Cup holders, on their own patch. What must have been said after Loxwood, unless the lads were simply up for tonight.

In fairness, Woking had plenty of chances and, on another night, could have scored seven or eight. Mind you, we were brilliant on the break and could have scored more. Three things caused Woking to get a duck. Firstly, their strikers were shocking. They could have played all night and not scored. Secondly, our lads defended stoically and stoutly and parked a coach in front of goal when needed. Thirdly, and most importantly, Tyler played the game of his life tonight. He may never have a game as good as that again, but I hope so (and guess he will). Save after save, block after block, caught cross after caught cross. When he was breached, our defenders made it look like there was a 24 feet by 8 feet pane of glass keeping the ball out. In comparison Woking's keeper, apparently back from a three month injury break, probably needs another three months off after his dreadful display.

We weathered an early storm and then Dan had a one on one well saved by the Woking keeper but, in the 20th minute, Dan put Bitz through and his finish from 15 yards out and across goal was emphatic. We weathered yet more pressure and then, in the 35th, the Woking keeper made a real hash of a back pass and Max robbed him for the easiest goal he'll ever score.

There were a couple of pivotal moments in a gripping second half. in the 73rd, Dan rounded the keeper and, from a tight but scoreable angle, went for glory and blasted it over the bar (nothing compared to a clearance by Joe from the six yard line which cleared the roof of the seated stand behind the goal!) and four minutes later Woking received a penalty when Tyler upended a forward, but Tyler dove superbly to his right to save the spot kick. Woking kept missing chance after chance and then, in the 93rd, Big Phil (who'd replaced Dan late on) blocked another clearance by the hapless keeper and squared for Max to stroke the ball home despite the despairing Woking defender on the line.

Cup tie against Wrexham at the weekend or no cup tie, our lads showed Woking's squad up as suspect and I reckon the Cards manager will have a headache after that display. Tyler was obviously man of the match, but everybody gave their all and put a real shift in. I really hope the lads take confidence and belief from both this result and their individual displays. I never thought I'd get the chance to sing "Can we play you every week?" to a team four divisions above us. 

GET IN!!!!!

Archived