Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Gosport Through To 1/4 Final

FF News

Recommended Posts

Gosport overcome a stubborn Bashley side to progress into the quarter finals of the Russell Cotes Cup at a chilly Privett Park.
Gosport Borough eased into the quarter final of the Russell Cotes Cup after a 3-0 win over Bashley at Privett Park.

A brace from Lee Wort (pictured) and a Paco Saez strike was enough for the Boro' to advance against their Evo-Stik Southern Division One opponents.

Alex Pike made six changes from his side's 2-2 draw with Ebbsfleet United on Saturday. Lee Molyneaux replaced Andy Forbes whilst Matt Benham, Robbie Matthews, Sam Pearce, Saez, Wort and Adam Wilde came in for the visit of the New Forest side.

Bashley manager Graham Speechly-Price made three alterations to his side's 4-1 defeat at Mangotsfield Town last time out. Brad Morris came in whilst Clive Makoni and Ryan Brading made-up the strike-force.

In a slow burning cup tie on a crisp evening it was the hosts who had the games first chance on 11 minutes. Saez's clever overlapped run caught the attention of Benham. The ball found Saez but his low cross couldn't be turned home by Wort.

Wort really should have given Boro' a lead a minute later. The striker's run was spotted by Steve Ramsey but his chipped finish wasn't high enough to trouble Callum Maher in the Bashley goal.

Gosport looked to turn the screw as the first half progressed. Dan Wooden's clever header found the on-running Saez but the Spaniards stretched finish was well wide of the mark.

The visitors looked to hit Boro' on the counter attack at every opportunity and it nearly paid off. Ashley Booker's cross was only half cleared by the hosts defence. The ball fell to Ryan Brading on the edge of the area but his effort was comfortable enough for Nathan Ashmore.

Gosport dominated large parts of the first half without creating too many clean-cut chances. Wooden's through ball was latched onto by Ramsey but his effort cleared the bar.

When it seemed as if it wasn't Boro's half, they took the lead two minutes from the break. Rory Williams picked up the ball at left back and his curved through ball found Wort with his finish squirming through Maher's legs.

And like London buses, Boro' made it two a minute later. Wort's shot from just inside the area hit the unknowing Saez and with the visiting 'keeper wrong-footed the ball rolled into the empty net.

Gosport went about killing the game early in the second half.
Ramsey's swerving effort was well tipped over by Maher. Wort then went close following a strong run by Wooden on the right before the same man had a goal ruled for offside.

Boro' almost got their third just after the hour as Wilde showed-off his trickery on the right. His cross went across the area before finding Saez but his effort cannoned off the crossbar.

Saez was integral in most of Boro's attacks and he set up Wort for the game's third goal five minutes after the hour.

The Spaniard picked up the ball 30 yards from goal before threading a ball through to Wort. The Boro' forward then doubled his tally for the evening by calmly planting the ball beyond Maher.

Ramsey, Saez and Wort came close for the hosts as they went about making the scoreline more flattering. Wooden hit the post in the closing stages as the game petered out and Boro' can look forward to Blackfield & Langley of the Wessex League in the last eight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...