Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Seagulls stalwart Hopley named as number two

FF News

New Colwyn Bay manager Ash Hoskin has appointed club stalwart Rob Hopley as his number two as the Seagulls prepare for a return to the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League

Former Burnley winger and Turf Moor development squad manager Hoskin has moved quickly to promote 30-year-old Hopley, pictured, after succeeding Gus Williams at Llanelian Road last week following Colwyn Bay's relegation from Conference North, four years after beating FC United of Manchester 1-0 in the 2011 Premier Division promotion p-lay-off final.

Hopley will continue to play in the EVO-STIK NPL's top flight to add to his 250 plus appearances for the club since making his debut in 2008 under Steve Pope’s short reign as Seagulls boss in the First Division North.

Made team captain when Frank Sinclair took over as manager in February 2013 and now club captain, he kicked off his career at Macclesfield Town before moving on to Winsford United where he was top scorer in their North West Counties Football League championship winning side.

Apart from a brief spell at Chester, Hopley will enter his eighth season at the Welsh club since signing from Leek Town.

Hoskin, 47, said: “Hoppo is Mr Colwyn Bay for me with the service he has given the club over the years and he is very popular in the dressing room so I feel he can do a great job for me as my assistant both on and off the field.”

In a statement released by club officials on Monday, Hoskin also hailed the appointment of former Accrington Stanley manager Phil Staley as another assistant in charge of a recruitment.

He added: “I see Phil as a fantastic signing for the club with the player knowledge and contacts that he has both in England and Wales.”

Hopley, now just two away from scoring 100 goal for the club, said: “I want to carry on playing as long as I can, but I’m also looking forward to being involved in the management side of the club for the first time.

“To be honest the offer came out of the blue, but it is too good an opportunity to turn down. It is a step on the ladder should I decide to go into management eventually and hopefully I will learn a lot in this new role.”

Source: www.evostikleague.co.uk

Source

Archived