Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Dabbers star looks forward to Hatters reunion

FF News

When Nantwich Town were pulled out of the hat to face Stockport County at Edgeley Park in the FA Trophy it brought back some very happy memories for Dabbers defender Mat Bailey.

Bailey played for the Hatters between 2003 and 2005 while they played there football in League One.

Now the centre back is looking forward to returning to SK3.

He said: “I really can’t wait to go.

“It’s been a few years since I’ve been to Edgeley Park and I’ve got some very good memories from my time there from earlier in my career.

“So it’s something I’m really looking forward to.”

Bailey was with Nantwich as a youngster and it was from Jackson Avenue where he joined Stockport from.

Bails explains how he got the move: “I played against Stockport in the Cheshire Senior Cup in the 2002/03 season.

“The manager for Stockport was Carlton Palmer and he was playing in the game and I scored a diving header against him.

“I think from there I think he decided he wanted to take me. I was 16 at time and back then I was the same size that I’m now and I was a little bit leaner then.

“I was a striker back then and he signed me on a three-year deal.

“But things didn’t go exactly to plan as in three years I had three managers.

“Obviously I had Carlton, who signed me, Sammy McIlroy and then Chris Turner. Who in the end got rid of everyone and I had to start again at Northwich Victoria and I kicked on from there.

“I but I honestly can’t wait to go back to Edgeley Park. For me it’s got nothing but good memories for me.”

The game will also allow the Dabbers to showcase their skills against a higher league club with Stockport County plying their trade in the National League North.

Some might be put off by the size of a club like Stockport.

But Bailey doesn’t think it will effect the Dabbers.

He said: “I think all the lads we have got they will not be fazed by it all at.

“Obviously it will be a different game to what we played the other day against Hyde United.

“But we know we can play football and especially on a good pitch like Edgeley Park we can show what Nantwich Town can do and I think it’s good to be able to play on good surface as like the pitch at our place it will allow us to get the ball down on the ground and allow us to play.”

Source: www.nantwichtownfc.co.uk

Source

Archived