Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Vics were the better side in cup tie says Clarets winger

FF News

Ricky Holmes has said "the best team lost" after Northampton Town scored three goals in the last 10 minutes to secure a dramatic 3-2 victory over Evo-Stik NPL First Division North side Northwich Victoria in the FA Cup.

The League Two side are 92 places above their opponents, who play in the eighth division of English football.

Holmes told BBC Radio Northampton: "They gave it a really good go.

"They were better than us all over the park until the last 10 minutes, when a bit of quality shone through."

Substitute Holmes, who picked up the man-of-the-match award for his contribution in turning the game around, added: "For the level they play at, they have some brilliant players. They should go on and win their league.

"I have played at that level before I became professional and I am sure we will see some of their players at this level because they really turned up today and deserved more than they got.

"I do not think we underestimated them. They came here playing at 110% and for once in probably the last two months we only gave it about 80%."

Victory over Northwich Victoria means Town are in the hat for the third round for the first time since the 2005-06 season.

Holmes, who is continuing his return from a groin and back injury, believes Northampton are capable of beating any side.

"I am an Arsenal fan so I would definitely take a draw against them," he said.

"We can beat Championship teams. We went to Coventry and turned them over and they are a very good side."

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

Source

Archived