Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ammies winger targets bragging rights on Pools return

FF News

Ammies winger targets bragging rights on Pools return

Salford City's James Poole wants to take the bragging rights as he heads back to Hartlepool United for the Ammies FA Cup Second Round replay.

A 1-1 draw at Moor Lane took the tie back to Victoria Park and it takes Poole back to one of his former clubs.

The winger spent a month on loan with Pools in the 2010/11 season, before signing a permenant deal in June 2011.

He went on to make ninety six appearances for the North East club before departing for Bury.

Now he is looking forward to making a return to Victoria Park.

"Hopefully it isn't too windy up here but it will be nice to go back up there. I saw a few familiar faces (at the first game) and it will be good to see them again.

I had some really good friends still at the club and hopefully I can take the bragging rights"

The first fixture ebbed and flowed with both sides having chances to win an outright place in the Third Round.

An early penalty from Pools loan star Rhys Oates gave them the lead but the Ammies equalised midway through the first half with a goal from left back Stephen O'Halloran.

As the second half wore on both sides could have claimed a winner, with Poole coming close with a twenty five yard free kick that sneaked past Trevor Carson's near post.poole pools

And Poole admitted that the Ammies were disappointed to only get a draw for their efforts but thinks that the replay is "well poised"

"Looking back at the game we had a lot of chances to win it, as did Pools.

I had that free kick and I think it just went outside of the post, I was almost off celebrating.

I think we were slightly disappointed with the draw given how we played, but we do get another crack at them and it is well poised for the replay"

A Third Round home tie against SkyBet Championship Derby County will be the prize for the victors in Tuesday night's replay and that would offer Poole and his team mates a third tie in a row against Football League opposition.

The twenty five year old believes that his side's professional attitude is helping them compete against opposition from higher up the league pyramid.

"I think when people think of non-league sides they think the fitness levels won't be as good but I think we have shown we can compete with professional sides.

We do have an edge and although the lads have got full time jobs they are so professional in the way we work. We look after ourselves and that is down to what the owners and the management have put in place here"

Interview: Mark Carruthers

Source

Archived