Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Shaymen do not fear Grimsby test - Walker

FF News

FC Halifax Town midfielder Sam Walker says The Shaymen have nothing to fear when they entertain Vanarama National League promotion-hopefuls Grimsby Town this weekend at The MBi Shay Stadium.

The two sides met back in October at Blundell Park, where Grimsby left a trail of destruction in their wake, comprehensively brushing aside Town 7-0.

Walker however, believes the side The Mariners will come up against on Saturday is much changed from the one earlier in the season.

“When you look back at the team when we played them at Grimsby, even though the personal is relatively similar, I think it’s a completely different team that we have now, with the mentality that we have,” said Walker.

“It’s going to be an interesting game, its one that we want to take at least a point out of and a lot of hard work will go into training this week because they have got some dangerous players. We go into any game now looking to pick up points, there’s nothing to be feared.”

The Shaymen’s 13-match unbeaten record under Jim Harvey’s charge came to a disappointing end last weekend, as Town were downed 2-0 by second-placed side Forest Green Rovers.

Although the result marked the first defeat since November, Walker feels there is encouragement to be taken from the performance and says Town must respond quickly.

“I thought that we matched them for the majority of the game. I think they got lucky getting the penalty decision when they did just as we were building momentum in the game. It came as a bit of a sucker punch for us.

“It’s really important we respond. Since Jim came in we’ve been priding ourselves on how good we’ve been defensively, and also at getting at teams well. It’s disappointing that the 13 game unbeaten run ended, but it’s just important to start another run now, that’s the way we are looking at it.”

The 28-year-old is fully aware the task of staying up is far from job done, with other sides towards the bottom of the table beginning to hit form with less than 15 games remaining.

“Everybody knows that it’s getting a bit tight down at the bottom,” Walker acknowledged. “We are coming up now to a really busy period for us, I think we’ve got a few midweek games that will be tough, a lot of miles will be covered but we are all ready for it.

“This weekend is a chance to cause an upset. Because they beat us 7-0 earlier in the season they might think that it will be the same team they are going to be coming up against, but it’s going to be a different story and hopefully we can cause an upset.”

Source: www.halifaxafc.co.uk

Source

Archived