Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

AFC Hornchurch vs Margate

MikeMike

Without doubt a very important game.

The away fixture was a very miserable Tuesday night where each side played with and against the tide. It was my first Urchin away game and I was very surprised at how many Urchins travelled. Margate were in much better shape at that time and a 0-0 draw was a good result (I am choosing to ignore the blatant handball that only three persons failed to see and my failing memory also seems to think Hx had the ball over the line but not given [I just re-read the match report and there is no mention of this second opinion and I was on the half way line so must be a case of wishful thinking])

This weekend though everything is completely different. I have no desire to upset long-term Urchins but with 2-3 exceptions I think all the released/left on their own choice players have been replaced with stronger players. And, fingers crossed, the results are starting to match the performance. Margate have also had a change of manager and a new loanee striker from Conf National Dartford with Scottish pro football experience.

But, to use a boxing analogy, what is the tale of the tape. Well, tonight Margate went behind against Carshalton Athletic in the fourth minute but got a 90th minute equaliser to remain one place and two points ahead of Hx but having played one extra game. Looking at the six game form guide, Margate are 2-2-2 and 14th whilst Hx are 3-0-3 and 11th. But to add context, Hx last three opponents have been top 10 (Leatherhead OMG) whilst Margate have been 11th and below.

So, what's my prediction? Well, I see there is an established thread and 2 division league for that sort of thing so I'll keep my counsel. Seems likely that all three George's will be unavailable so Stimmo, Robbo and Southo (?) will need a new vocabulary. Won't be surprised to see A.N. Other on the bench, after all I have seen M. Stimson, 51 named last year.

On a personal note I remain unashamedly ex-Thurrock (17 years is a hard habit to break) but am delighted with the welcome extended to me and my fellow 'fleeters. I was privileged to speak with Blackballed at Leatherhead (who told me I am now an Urchin because I've been at every Stimmo game except Whitehawk away) and PonyTailedUrchin (I think) has chatted with me at nearly every game.

So, Jago, if you want a shandy (I drive to all games so that's my limit) and a chat they'll point you in my direction (and you can double check my mental health) though you may have to cross the divide into the West End (I think you call it Riverside) or you can find me queuing for a tea and a kit-kat at half time. You said you were shy but I can confirm I am house trained and have just achieved 100% in a recent Prevention of Sexual Harassment course at work so I think you can risk it.

Archived