Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Racism

In the light of events at former SSML Club Haringey Borough on Saturday, and the ongoing subject of racism in football, I thought I would create a thread. There is a lively debate on another Forum and plenty in the press on the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round tie at Coles Park and it will be interesting to see what the FA decide to do with Haringey Borough and Yeovil in the draw for the First Round proper this evening, live on BBC2 at 7.00pm:

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=951433;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;guest=325980532

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7595519/Two-men-arrested-police-reports-racist-abuse-Haringeys-FA-Cup-tie-against-Yeovil.html

I gather from the FA Cup First Round proper draw this evening that Haringey Borough and Yeovil will replay at Coles Park on Tuesday 29 October, the winners will host Hartlepool United, I cannot remember the last time Haringey Borough were drawn away from home in an FA Cup tie:

FA CUP FIRST ROUND DRAW

Ipswich v Lincoln, Oxford City v Solihull Moors, Crawley v Scunthorpe, Harrogate Town v Portsmouth, Colchester v Coventry, Sunderland v Gillingham, Dulwich Hamlet v Carlisle, Bolton v Plymouth, York v Altrincham, Chesterfield/Wrexham v Rochdale, Maidstone United v Torquay, Leyton Orient v Maldon and Tiptree, Chippenham Town v Northampton, Haringey Borough/Yeovil v Hartlepool United, Cambridge United v Exeter City, Whitby/Stourbridge v Welling/Eastleigh, Salford v Burton Albion, Forest Green Rovers v Sutton/Billericay, Bristol Rovers v Bromley, Ebbsfleet/Woking v Notts County, Walsall v Darlington, Nantwich v AFC Fylde, AFC Wimbledon v Doncaster, Hayes & Yeading/Poole v Oxford United, Shrewsbury v Bradford, Grimsby v Newport County, Gateshead v Oldham, Mansfield v Chorley, Dover v Southend, Tranmere v Wycombe, Carshalton v Boston, Cheltenham v Swindon, Accrington v Crewe, Potters Bar/Barnet v Fleetwood, Macclesfield v Kingstonian, Maidenhead/Wealdstone v Rotherham, Blackpool v Morecambe, MK Dons v Port Vale, Stevenage v Peterborough. Chichester City awarded a bye due to Bury's demise.

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

I cannot remember the last time Haringey Borough were drawn away from home in an FA Cup tie:

First Qualifying Round last season

Brentwood Town 2 Haringey Borough 3

Karen - Thanks but then I still make it an incredible nine FA Cup home draws in a row for Haringey Borough, Second, Third, Fourth Qualifying and First Round proper last season, then First, Second, Third, Fourth Qualifying and First Round proper this season should they beat Yeovil next week, that must be a record

I'm just wondering if Yeovil Town's Rhys Murphy had fluffed his lines last Saturday and missed the spot kick in the 64th minute which put the high flying National League Premier Division Club 1-0 ahead, would Haringey Borough still have walked off the hallowed 3G surface in protest of the racist abuse they allegedly received from the Yeovil fans housed behind the goal. At 0-0, with thirty minutes or so remaining, the game had been pretty even up to that point and Haringey might well have gone on to pull off a huge shock or at least held on for a money spinning replay at Huish Park.

I see that they are still debating away, nineteen to the dozen, on another Forum and the general consensus is that the decision to replay the Haringey Borough v Yeovil tie was the correct one, it would have been unfair to expel Haringey from the competition for walking off and, likewise, Yeovil for a few of their mindless and racist fans:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=951433;page=4;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;guest=326152643

24 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

I see that they are still debating away, nineteen to the dozen, on another Forum and the general consensus is that the decision to replay the Haringey Borough v Yeovil tie was the correct one, it would have been unfair to expel Haringey from the competition for walking off and, likewise, Yeovil for a few of their mindless and racist fans:

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=951433;page=4;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;guest=326152643

I quite agree.

However, more must be done to stamp out racist abuse.

I see that outspoken Haringey Borough boss, Tom Loizou, was mentioned in Parliament this week when MP for Haringey & Hornsey, Catherine West, congratulated him for taking his team off the pitch last Saturday, this was then agreed with by Boris Johnson who was present in the Chamber at the time along with fellow MP's. Loizou is a friend of the SSML having managed Haringey Borough when they lifted the Challenge Trophy in 2012 and when the Club happily agreed to leave to join the Essex Senior League, and a far easier route to bigger and better things, Loizou is also a very good friend of a certain League official who, as a clue, will be running the line at Spratleys Meadow tomorrow afternoon:

http://www.parikiaki.com/2019/10/tom-loizou-haringey-borough-manager-makes-a-name-for-himself-at-the-houses-of-parliament/

Archived