Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New Years Day postponments

I see that there were at least 2 games played to a finish today (at Grays and Yeading) suprisingly, and the fiasco at Boston with the Nuneaton game being abandoned at half time, and surely questions must be asked as to why the game ever started. If a game is abandoned because of an unexpected heavy downpour that can't be helped, but with freezing weather all over the country why was a decision not taken last night or first thing this morning to postpone the lot, not many non-league clubs have under soil heating, and if it turns out the odd 1 or 2 could have gone ahead thats a small price to pay, it would save a lot of wasted journeys. It hardly takes a genius to know that a pitch could be perfect at 3pm but once the sun starts going down it will freeze rapidly which is presumably what happened at Boston. At 1pm I phoned Gravesend & Northfleet to see if the game with Aldershot was still on and was told that

'it should go ahead', I called about an hour later and a recorded message told me the game was off, I wonder how many fans had travelled from Aldershot for nothing? I also heard on the radio the Dover v Margate was on, glad I didn't go as that was called off at the last minute! I sympathise with all the fans who wasted money and ruined their New Years Day on fruitless trips!