Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Potters Bar v Enfield Town

seemgee

I went to the Potters Bar game, not the other two - great start to the season, although I'm absolutely gutted for Jake, and wish him a full and speedy recovery.

I was expecting us to play a little more football against Potters Bar based on the reports I'd heard about pre-season, and the Concord game, but we were fairly direct at times and this might well have been a factor of how the opposition were set up to play, and how we thought we could best exploit them. I was very impressed at how compact and organised we were, it didn't feel like our back four were particularly exposed throughout the game, and this is credit to the system, as well as the recovery and discipline of the midfield. The two goals were two bits of quality from Marcus and Jake, and after that I think there was only going to be one winner. Switching to 4-5-1 mid-way through the second half just made it harder to play through us and I was impressed with Gavin's willingness to change the system, and make substitutes proactively. Although the two centre-mids are quality players, as I've said before, I do worry about their ability to play lots of 90 minute (100+ minute?) games over a long season, so they need to be smart in what they do, not chase lost causes and use their experience to do the work, rather than their legs at times.

Everyone played well, but the players I was most impressed with were:

Wyllie - he's bulked up a bit and got stronger, kept his pace and looks confident and happy to lead the line / put in a shift for the team. Took his goal very well, and looks to get the ball down an play when the situation permits.

Forster - there's not many keepers at this level that aren't a downgrade from Nathan, but I was impressed with his kicking/distribution and how he commands the box. Having a tall keeper who can claim most corners / set pieces delivered into the 6 yard box is a real bonus, and from the one save he had to make he looks a good shot stopper too.

Garcia-Velasco - looks too good a player to be 2nd choice right back, so maybe scope to play him in other positions? Happy with the ball at his feet, and one fantastic bit of anticipation/cover to clear the ball when they looked certain to score (getting clattered in the process).

Richmond - commanding, and assured, definitely benefited from better organisation and protection provided from the midfield.

Every player we used put in a shift, and seemed to understand what was required of them. It's a long season, and I'm sure there will be some poor results/form, but 3 from 3 and top at this stage is all we can ask, and we have reason to be optimistic. Looking forward to seeing us play again soon when the diary permits.

Edited to add: oh and the ref? That many bookings in what was a pretty well mannered game doesn't bode well for when we do have any aggro! I'm all for clamping down on dissent etc. but booking their keeper for timewasting when 0-2 down in the first half???

Edited by Barney