Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Potters Bar v Enfield Town

seemgee

Another solid performance against some struggling opponents.

Jake scored with a precise finish early on when he was allowed to run to the edge of their box.   Hopefully his injury isn't too bad as he seemed in alot of pain on the sideline.   Whilst he was off, Marcus scored with a good run and powerful shot into the bottom corner and all 3 of Marcus, Reece and Jake caused the PB defence plenty of problems.

Sam and Scott were nice and strong in midfield and it's great to see the team get the ball down and play the football which we are clearly capable of playing.

Our new GK was only called into proper action in the second half when he parried a powerful shot away from goal.

I thought that James was our best player on the night.   Dominant in the air, solid on the ground and he's also forming a good partnership with Joshua and Joe and Carlos were again decent.

Have to say was good to hear the sounds coming out from the Town Bench.  We are more vocal this year, more positive and have started very well, here's hoping it can continue.   Was definitely impressed by our recovery runs and shape which kept Potters Bar quiet and it was telling that their quick RW sub was their most dangerous player.

* Officiating.  I understand what the FA are trying to do this year but they way they're doing it doesn't make sense.  There were probably only a couple of naughty tackles all night, yet I think we had double figure yellow cards between both teams.....a couple where our players needed treatment and then the players fouled/or supporting them received yellow cards.

Yet when their LB should have had a second yellow card we get a yellow card and he gets a talking to for pulling back from behind.   Madness

We'll see if this works in the next few weeks but if this is how it's going to be all season then the FA disciplinary team are going to very very busy.

Very different to Saturday's more fluid performance but I put this down to scouting identifying that Potters Bar were a long ball team, and adjusting our tactics accordingly. About as comfortable an away win as I suspect we will see this season. We did what we had to do. Potters Bar were poor - I think they will struggle.

Our back 4 looked strong and I can only recall 2 shots on target all night from the home team. Rhys Forster in goal caught well all game and "owned" his penalty area - good to see.

We stood near the ETFC dugout most of the match and were very impressed with the clear positional instructions given to the players by the manager and coach (sadly lacking in prior seasons). Marcus Wyllie again playing with real confidence and took his goal very well (should have had a second in the second half). Jake Cass' injury looked nasty, I'll be surprised if he is available for selection for the next few weeks. We had to re-jig after Cass went off and Beckles-Richards was fast and strong down the middle, but we do look light on cover up front. Not much height either so we will need to keep it on the deck until Cass returns.

First time I have seen Ollie Knight play - very promising indeed. Put in some really good crosses. Saturday away at Folkestone will be a far sterner test.

James Richmond was my man of the match - absolutely dominant at the back, didn't miss a thing.

Great turnout, ETFC must have outnumbered PB fans 2 to 1.

Glad DJWILF mentioned the refereeing which was poor.

Should have been a clear penaty to Town in the first few minutes. Booking of the Potters Bar Keeper in the second half, when they were  2-0 down, for time wasting was a nonsense. Then he had to follow up with the booking for the (perceived) delayed throw later on in added time; when the Town player was merely kicking the ball to the throw in site and had control at all times. There was no time wasting, if he had lost controll there may have been justification but, the time taken to get to the site of the throw in was not delayed which it may have been if he had stopped to pick the ball up.

It will be an interesting test on Saturday. Folkestone are a good side and at this stage of the season form drifts out of the window.

Folkestone narrowly lost to Chatham who have had two good results so far. Folkestone have scored 7 goals in their two matches and our defence will clearly have to be on their metal.

Agree with all the comments made above - had missed Concord so was pleased to get along to an enjoyable game..

2 fantastic strikes put us in complete control - and loving Marcus' new lease of life and confidence!

My MOM was Scott Thomas - I did wonder whether he would still be at the club this season as he was very much Andy's man - but I think he looks, fitter & sharper and controlled the game well

Cass's injury did not look good and he didn't seem happy - fingers and toes crossed it is not serious as he is pivotal to the side. 

Reece seems to be wrestled to the ground and held back by the opposition every week - yet refs seem to let them go!

2nd half wasnt as exciting - BUT we prevented them from doing much and it didnt ever feel like the result was in danger

Great atmosphere and support - there feels a real positivity at the moment .. I am impressed with the way Gavin has taken the existing squad, developed a different approach, whilst adding to it

And yes Rhys Foster looks very capable - after having nothing to do he did a great reactionary save on the stroke of Half Time .. had they scored it could have been a different second half ..

Can't get to next few but will be eagerly following on social media ..

Have just read Jake's tweet. Terrible news. Particularly as he was looking better than ever. 

No point in dwelling though.

Any idea where we get a 20-goal-a-season striker from asap? Currently looking a little light - and lightweight - up front.

Anyone got Billy Bricknell's number?

Time to find out what Gavin can conjure up.

A great win but gutted for cassy . Anybody know how long he's out for ??? 

As for Potters Bar they looked poor to me and perhaps starting the journey back to the lower leagues . 

Edited by Out_Of_Towner
Added a bit

On 19/08/2023 at 12:40, Out_Of_Towner said:

A great win but gutted for cassy . Anybody know how long he's out for ??? 

There's a youtube interview with him. He's having the op on his achilles on Wednesday - rehab is estimated at 6mths. He also needs a further op on his knee. Realistically he said he's out for the season. He even suggested that he'll hang his boots up. At 30 I suspect he'll be back - but not this season, and perhaps ultimately not at ETFC.

Hopefully he'll be behind the goal banging the drum at some point over the next few months!