Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Monday/Tuesday 2/3 October - SSML Results/Reports

The midweek fixtures:

Monday 2 October (kick off 7.45pm)
Hertfordshire FA Senior Challenge Cup First Round 

Hitchin Town v Leverstock Green

Tuesday 3 October (all kick off 7.45pm)
Division One 
Cranfield United v Ampthill Town
Langford v Irchester United
Long Buckby AFC v Winslow United 

Division Two
AFC Welwyn v Aston Clinton 

Milton Keynes Irish Reserves v Berkhamsted Raiders
Newport Pagnell Town Reserves v Old Bradwell United 

I gather Leverstock Green were very unlucky not to come away with a victory from Top Field last night:

Monday 2 October
Hertfordshire FA Senior Challenge Cup First Round 

Hitchin Town 1 Leverstock Green 1 (Hitchin Town win 4-3 on pens)

23 hours ago, Rhodes said:

Tuesday 3 October 
Division One 
Cranfield United v Ampthill Town

This should be an interesting affair this evening:

On 02/10/2023 at 13:18, Rhodes said:

Tuesday 3 October 
Division One 
Long Buckby AFC v Winslow United 

How do we see this affair going at Station Road:

Tuesday 3 October 
Division One 
Langford v Irchester United

This one at Forde Park is difficult to call:

May be an image of 4 people, people playing American football, people playing football and text that says "LANGFORDFC RESTER UNITEDP UNITED THE ROMANS 1883 R LANGFORD VS IRCHESTER UNITED TUESDAY 3RD OCT, 7:45PM LANGFORD ROAD HENLOW BEDFORDSHIRE SG16 6AG #ComeOnTheIrch"

Tuesday 3 October
Division Two
AFC Welwyn v Aston Clinton 

This should be three more points for AFC Welwyn:

Tuesday 3 October 
Division Two
Newport Pagnell Town Reserves v Old Bradwell United 

What do we think has gone so horribly wrong at Abbey Road this season:

The belated results from Tuesday:

Tuesday 3 October 
Division One 
Cranfield United 3 Ampthill Town 1
Langford 7 Irchester United 0
Long Buckby AFC 1 Winslow United 2

Division Two
AFC Welwyn 3 Aston Clinton 0
Milton Keynes Irish Reserves 3 Berkhamsted Raiders 1
Newport Pagnell Town Reserves 0 Old Bradwell United 1

36 minutes ago, Rhodes said:

Tuesday 3 October 
Division One 

A groundhopper from another Forum was present:

Spartan South Midlands One
Admission – £3 (concession) Attendance c85 (h/c)

A really eventful evening with the game finishing with only 18 players on the pitch. It was end to end stuff from the off with both sides hitting the woodwork before Ampthill took the lead on ten minutes after a quick break. Cranfield were back on level terms after half an hour when a driving run down the right and a clever cut back led to a tap in finish. A couple of Cranfield bookings for reckless tackles followed and they finished the half temporarily down to ten men with a sin binning for dissent.
Ill discipline and frequent stoppages characterised the second half. Cranfield were soon back to a full complement and this time it was Ampthill’s turn to pick up a couple of bookings, the second of which could easily have been a red card. The culprit didn’t learn his lesson though and a few minutes later another foul tackle saw him despatched back to the dressing room. Clearly the Cranfield #8 didn’t want him feeling lonely and let the referee even things up with a ridiculous tackle given that he too had already been booked. Soon every tackle saw players and management baying for more punishment and we had a prolonged stoppage when the referee went to the Ampthill bench to try to calm them down. I presume they didn’t listen because as the Ref was walking away he suddenly turned back and sent one of the coaching staff off as well. A bit of football broke out for a time but, when the Ampthill #5 was pushed in the back with the ball already running out of play, his decision to turn round and confront the pusher head to head was always likely to lead to trouble. The pusher fell to the ground and initially it looked like he was feigning injury (it certainly looked that way to me) but having consulted with his assistant (who was much closer to the incident) the referee brandished the red card. This encouraged Cranfield to push forward and as we entered added time a foolish tackle by one of the Ampthill substitutes gave away a penalty which was converted decisively. It was clear that there would still be lots more time to play so Ampthill threw everything forward. Unfortunately for them one of their defenders made one comment too many to the referee rather than taking a throw in. I don’t know what he said but the referee’s response was “you can’t speak to me like that” and the defender was sent packing. Inevitably with eight players pressing for a goal against ten opponents there would be gaps at the back and it was no surprise when a clearance left two Cranfield players clear through for an easy finish and confirmation of a 3-1 victory for the hosts.
I suppose that many will want to blame the referee for losing control but, when players insist on making late tackles and then join their management in continual whinging and whining, I don’t know what the official is meant to do. To my unbiased eyes he got the vast majority of his decisions right and it was lack of discipline that led to all of the sending offs.
My trip to Crawley Road allowed me to re-complete visits to all SSML grounds. Facilities are limited at the ground with just Clubhouse/dressing rooms behind one goal and a small area of cover between the two dugouts. The pitch is surrounded by an impressive looking white post and rail fence in keeping with the rural location of the ground. Closer inspection though reveals that it is made of plastic rather than wood perhaps slightly detracting from its initial charm.
Thanks to all the stoppages the match didn’t finish until 9.55 but for once the M1 and M25 were clear of roadworks and my drive home was trouble free.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2023 at 14:45, Rhodes said:

Tuesday 3 October 
Division Two
AFC Welwyn 3 Aston Clinton 0

All the action from this one:

Edited by Rhodes