Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

32 Games Review

Nathan

First of all, congratulations to Scotty & the Team for (what sounds like, I wasn't there) an entertaining and memorable win. We are now sitting in 9th position with 46 points: only 5 fewer than our total for last season. Our league form since those horrendous first 7 matches is P25, W12, D7, L6: that's 43 points from a possible 75, with 17 home matches (and hopefully, counting) unbeaten in all competitions. Far from invincible, but nonetheless play-off form; if only we'd got going a week or two earlier! Hopefully this isn't premature, but any relegation worries seem like a long time ago now.

I've just listened to Scotty's post-match interview on Youtube, and I thought he is quite right to shut down talk of the play-offs. People will inevitably start talking of the play-offs, but it is absolutely right to take things a game at a time and see where that leads us. We have a habit of getting excellent results (think of Bath City away or Truro and Maidstone at home) and then following them up shortly afterwards with silly results (think Welling, Dover and Weymouth, all away). I was however a little perplexed by the "punching above our weight" comment.

We are joint-3rd scorers in the league alongside St. Albans (58 goals from 32 games, behind Yeovil 61 from 31 and Worthing with 72 from 32 games). This may seem a strange thing to say, but I feel we are a little reliant on goals from our defence and midfield at the moment: of the 16 goals we've scored since the new year, our strikers account for only 5.

Things look a far cry from how things were in September. We've had a morale-boosting cup run, we're now far closer to the play-offs than the relegation zone, and attendances are on the up: over our last three home attendances we've averaged nearly 1000, whereas at the start of the season we were scraping 6 or 7 hundred (the scaling back of National League TV may help increase midweek attendances). We're getting sponsorship, and getting good prospects on contracts; rumour has it that one or two have been actively scouted recently.

The only thing hanging over us (asides from fixing the the iffy tannoy/public address system) is the new deal which I believe is being negotiated regarding the rent and maintenance costs of Arbour Park, and how this will affect our finances.

Thanks Nathan! Just to clarify, the ‘punching well above our weight comment’, I would 100% stand by.

In terms of squad size, resources, etc. the club are in a period of transition, and I think it’s fair to say that without the new ownership then who knows where we would have been?! 

But, the remit this season was to stay up and finish as high as possible (12th - 15th) would have deemed to be success, top half would be incredible, play-offs is unimaginable from where we were at the end of last season.

You only have to look at Eastbourne and Havant, two full time clubs in the bottom four, with the other two that were full time last season (Dover and Welling). I think it’s safe to say that 3 from 4 of those clubs would’ve expected to finish above us this season.

I like the underdog mentality, it suits our group perfectly! So long may it continue. 😀

Edited by Scott Davies

58 minutes ago, Nathan said:

First of all, congratulations to Scotty & the Team for (what sounds like, I wasn't there) an entertaining and memorable win. We are now sitting in 9th position with 46 points: only 5 fewer than our total for last season. Our league form since those horrendous first 7 matches is P25, W12, D7, L6: that's 43 points from a possible 75, with 17 home matches (and hopefully, counting) unbeaten in all competitions. Far from invincible, but nonetheless play-off form; if only we'd got going a week or two earlier! Hopefully this isn't premature, but any relegation worries seem like a long time ago now.

I've just listened to Scotty's post-match interview on Youtube, and I thought he is quite right to shut down talk of the play-offs. People will inevitably start talking of the play-offs, but it is absolutely right to take things a game at a time and see where that leads us. We have a habit of getting excellent results (think of Bath City away or Truro and Maidstone at home) and then following them up shortly afterwards with silly results (think Welling, Dover and Weymouth, all away). I was however a little perplexed by the "punching above our weight" comment.

We are joint-3rd scorers in the league alongside St. Albans (58 goals from 32 games, behind Yeovil 61 from 31 and Worthing with 72 from 32 games). This may seem a strange thing to say, but I feel we are a little reliant on goals from our defence and midfield at the moment: of the 16 goals we've scored since the new year, our strikers account for only 5.

Things look a far cry from how things were in September. We've had a morale-boosting cup run, we're now far closer to the play-offs than the relegation zone, and attendances are on the up: over our last three home attendances we've averaged nearly 1000, whereas at the start of the season we were scraping 6 or 7 hundred (the scaling back of National League TV may help increase midweek attendances). We're getting sponsorship, and getting good prospects on contracts; rumour has it that one or two have been actively scouted recently.

The only thing hanging over us (asides from fixing the the iffy tannoy/public address system) is the new deal which I believe is being negotiated regarding the rent and maintenance costs of Arbour Park, and how this will affect our finances.

Thanks Nathan excellent summing up of current situation  The final predicted table updated last night suggests we will finish in 9th place with 67 points and also predicts us winning our next 2 games v Chippenham and Dartford

Edited by Irishadrian
Omission

The Club are doing fantastically well, but to be play-off contenders they would need to get to an average of 1.6 points per match.

To get to that it would require four consecutive wins, which would take us to 58 points from 36 matches…… not impossible but highly unlikely.

I do think we could possibly pick up 8 or 9 points from our four and edge a bit closer, ramp up some excitement for March & April, and hopefully attract some even bigger attendances.

16 hours ago, Irishadrian said:

Thanks Nathan excellent summing up of current situation  The final predicted table updated last night suggests we will finish in 9th place with 67 points and also predicts us winning our next 2 games v Chippenham and Dartford

With our current home form and with Chippenham and Dartford below us in the table it certainly didn't take a genius to go out on a limb and predict 2 home wins.

As we all know nothings a given in football but hopefully we can maintain our excellent home form for as long as possible.

Edited by Reading Rebel

17 hours ago, Nathan said:

Excellent post Nathan.

On 11/02/2024 at 16:50, Nathan said:

Nathan, just following on the first 7 match theme, if you remove those 7 games from the figures (6 lost 1 win), and then take the recent 25 games on their own, these 25 games give a points per game of 1.72, which would put us fourth in the league and well in the playoffs.

If the last 25 game momentum is maintained then there is every chance to get into the playoffs, and the opportunity of promotion is still open.

From an awful start to the season (and giving Dover 6 easy points) to the opportunity of the playoffs and promotion shows how unpredictable this league is.

On 11/02/2024 at 17:13, Scott Davies said:

Thanks Nathan! Just to clarify, the ‘punching well above our weight comment’, I would 100% stand by.

In terms of squad size, resources, etc. the club are in a period of transition, and I think it’s fair to say that without the new ownership then who knows where we would have been?! 

But, the remit this season was to stay up and finish as high as possible (12th - 15th) would have deemed to be success, top half would be incredible, play-offs is unimaginable from where we were at the end of last season.

You only have to look at Eastbourne and Havant, two full time clubs in the bottom four, with the other two that were full time last season (Dover and Welling). I think it’s safe to say that 3 from 4 of those clubs would’ve expected to finish above us this season.

I like the underdog mentality, it suits our group perfectly! So long may it continue. 😀

Ok so you prefer the underdog status well here goes my antidote to all the optimism on here:- 

1. We won’t make the play-offs , every team has a bad run some time , we havent had ours yet . The first seven games were not it, that was just the season not getting started !  
2. We won’t win our next two games , fantastic home runs always come to an end when you least expect it, at every level . Look at Villa record 15 home wins on the bounce then scrape a last minute draw against Sheffield Utd in number 16. Recently lost 3 in a row ! 

3. I shall be attending both games (I hope ) but  Dartford are my No1 Bogey team . Seen us play them 8 times -never won 

Chippenham are my No2 Bogey side , seen us play them 7 times -no win . 

Be amazed if we got a draw out of either 😉

all yours Scotty ! 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ok so you prefer the underdog status well here goes my antidote to all the optimism on here:- 

1. We won’t make the play-offs , every team has a bad run some time , we havent had ours yet . The first seven games were not it, that was just the season not getting started !  
2. We won’t win our next two games , fantastic home runs always come to an end when you least expect it, at every level . Look at Villa record 15 home wins on the bounce then scrape a last minute draw against Sheffield Utd in number 16. Recently lost 3 in a row ! 

3. I shall be attending both games (I hope ) but  Dartford are my No1 Bogey team . Seen us play them 8 times -never won 

all yours Scotty ! 

Well that's one way of looking at it.

Expect nothing and anything we do get is a bonus 😏

6 hours ago, Stan said:

all yours Scotty ! 

Luckily we won't have to win our next two games to maintain our home record.

In recent seasons both Chippenham and Dartford were considered to be two bogey teams that we've always struggled to get a point from let alone 3.

But with our win at Dartford earlier this season and last seasons home and away wins against Chippenham we seem to have turned the corner.

I'm optimistic enough to say we'll get at least a draw against Chippenham and a win against Dartford on Tuesday. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

6 hours ago, Stan said:

all yours Scotty ! 

Last season Chippenham came to our place 15 unbeaten, and we managed to win 6-1, so I know exactly what they’ll be saying to their players! 

Our unbeaten run at home run will have to come to an end at some point, not that we plan for that to happen this weekend! We’ll set out to win both matches but who knows?! 

The belief is there, the confidence is there…

Leave it to us Stan and let’s see how we go… 👍🏼😀