Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Hemel Hempstead

A day after what sounds like a closely fought and entertaining encounter, and still no thread. It seems we were all dreaming of the play-offs after all!

I thought I'd start a thread as an excuse to post this GOTS contender from Johnny Goddard (credit: X/@darthscrote, for those who haven't yet seen it):

https://twitter.com/darthscrote/status/1779151371704381684

17 hours ago, Nathan said:

A day after what sounds like a closely fought and entertaining encounter, and still no thread. It seems we were all dreaming of the play-offs after all!

I thought I'd start a thread as an excuse to post this GOTS contender from Johnny Goddard (credit: X/@darthscrote, for those who haven't yet seen it):

https://twitter.com/darthscrote/status/1779151371704381684

The score was close but football wise we were much the better side.

We put a lot of pressure on Hemel in the first half without that clinical finish to capitalize on some good approach play.

Defensively we were without two recognized center backs which made us vulnerable to crosses and set pieces.   

Second half goals from Trae and a goal of the season contender from Johnny Goddard sealed a deserved win.

A great day out, decent weather and a deserved win. It makes all the difference to go to away games on the coach and many thanks to the organisers, who coordinate this throughout the season. 

So, Hemel gave everyone a boost by reducing prices to £5 each, very generous and a reward to the fans. It's a couple of years since I last visited and it's been smartened up considerably since the last time. A 3G pitch now, with some terracing added too, although one part was sectioned off, presumably a planning or safety thing. I didn't realise that Alan Dowson was their interim manager and of course he comes with Martin Tyler (TV commentator) as a coach. As I stood drinking my pint by the Pigeon Club hut (how many football clubs have such an arrangement - good for messages I suppose if the Internet fails), I was surprised to see the former accompanied by Peter Taylor (ex-manager, player and England international) pass by. This is of course my latest claim to fame (dubious I know!). Later on Martin Tyler provided another one!!

Onto the game and we were without our regular goalie, although Hugo Sobte has been more regular of late, and our normal centre backs. After Hemel had a couple of chances in the first 5 minutes we started to get back into the game, which culminated in one of the goals of the season from Johnny Goddard. As soon as it left his foot you could see from where I was that it was going in! Brilliant stuff, but almost immediately undone by a ball over the top leaving Hugo stranded allowing Williams to run  beyond and pass the ball into the net. That's the way it stayed until H-T, although we did hit the frame of the goal twice. 

Second half and they upped their intensity and were more in the game, but without too much quality. They had a couple of scrambles that were blocked away by good keeping and defending. We eventually took the lead again through good work from substitute Slavi Spasov to set up Trae Cook-Appiah, who smashed the ball home. It's Slough Town though and complacency has no place for us supporters, so sure enough an equaliser with a near post header from a corner, which of course I missed because I was checking my phone for other scores in our league. Holyport Rebel doesn't want a Smart Phone and I take his point!

Despite this setback Slavi set up the third and winning goal when through at an angle, the keeper saved his goal bound effort, but turned it into the path of the incoming Johnny Goddard. 3-2 and 3 points. Happy supporters and coach journey home!!

34 minutes ago, Bernie Gogan said:

A great day out, decent weather and a deserved win. It makes all the difference to go to away games on the coach and many thanks to the organisers, who coordinate this throughout the season. 

So, Hemel gave everyone a boost by reducing prices to £5 each, very generous and a reward to the fans. It's a couple of years since I last visited and it's been smartened up considerably since the last time. A 3G pitch now, with some terracing added too, although one part was sectioned off, presumably a planning or safety thing. I didn't realise that Alan Dowson was their interim manager and of course he comes with Martin Tyler (TV commentator) as a coach. As I stood drinking my pint by the Pigeon Club hut (how many football clubs have such an arrangement - good for messages I suppose if the Internet fails), I was surprised to see the former accompanied by Peter Taylor (ex-manager, player and England international) pass by. This is of course my latest claim to fame (dubious I know!). Later on Martin Tyler provided another one!!

Onto the game and we were without our regular goalie, although Hugo Sobte has been more regular of late, and our normal centre backs. After Hemel had a couple of chances in the first 5 minutes we started to get back into the game, which culminated in one of the goals of the season from Johnny Goddard. As soon as it left his foot you could see from where I was that it was going in! Brilliant stuff, but almost immediately undone by a ball over the top leaving Hugo stranded allowing Williams to run  beyond and pass the ball into the net. That's the way it stayed until H-T, although we did hit the frame of the goal twice. 

Second half and they upped their intensity and were more in the game, but without too much quality. They had a couple of scrambles that were blocked away by good keeping and defending. We eventually took the lead again through good work from substitute Slavi Spasov to set up Trae Cook-Appiah, who smashed the ball home. It's Slough Town though and complacency has no place for us supporters, so sure enough an equaliser with a near post header from a corner, which of course I missed because I was checking my phone for other scores in our league. Holyport Rebel doesn't want a Smart Phone and I take his point!

Despite this setback Slavi set up the third and winning goal when through at an angle, the keeper saved his goal bound effort, but turned it into the path of the incoming Johnny Goddard. 3-2 and 3 points. Happy supporters and coach journey home!!

Nice blog Bernie 👍

Perhaps next season we can have match day blog of the week with you and HR leading the way  :188:

3 hours ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Great write up Bernie.  

I don't know about others, but I very much enjoy reading yours and other people's such as "Bonjour's" match reports.

The more the merrier !    :thumbsup(2):

Edited by Holyport Rebel