Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island FC in song

Your post was interesting to read chalky boy, and I apologise if my original post sounded aggressive or ultra defensive blush

I understand what you are saying with regards to the current so-called "Indie" music scene being dull and samey, but most of the bands that have been mentioned on this thread are the ones that have hit the mainstream and are making their music to please the majority out there, or as I would call it, the single buying public!! Believe me, there is a lot of good music still out there, it's just a case of not listening to Radio 1.

Kaiser Chiefs, Hard-Fi (lead singer is a knob, trust me I've been to a gig), Athlete, Razorlight, The View - all bands who when they first appeared in the NME or on XFM for example you think yeah this is good, but really you only need their debut album as it is really isn't going to get any better. They make a name for themselves because their music is catchy, and Indie music nowadays I would say is more mainstream than it used to be. Let's face it, the majority of people have poor taste in music generally - the charts speak for themselves.

Arctic Monkeys, Editors, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters are all bands with what I would call more substance. Went to see The Monkeys at Ally Pally a couple of weeks ago and I understand what you mean about their following - I would call it more Townies than chavs - throwing beer everywhere and throwing coins at the support act mad The thing is, their music sarcastically takes the mickey out of the Towny sort of lifestyle, going out fighting bouncers on a Saturday night etc.

I am 23 but still appreciate and love the good bands that came out of the last few decades - after all these bands have influenced those that have followed. The Smiths, Stone Roses, The Jam, The Kinks - the list could go on. Oasis do need to call it a day though, as they sound more samey than anyone else nowadays and their best is long gone. Their best was very very good of course.

I must admit I like the Pidgeon Detectives 1st album, but this may change come their 2nd or 3rd samey album. Mates of mine who are not massively into music come up to me and say, have you heard the Hoosiers or Scouting for Girls? - this is what I mean, people class even this as Indie nowadays and it is garbage pop. I think it is becoming to easy to brand music as Indie.

Kate Nash is an example of the massively chavvy element in music at the moment, along with the likes of Just Jack and Lethal Bizzle - dear dear!!

Arcade Fire and Maximo Park are 2 of my favourites. I also like The Wombats 1st album, but they may be another band who catch the Kaiser Chief our music is all the same bug!! frown

Now this is what i call a good discussion!

I forgot to say Kasabian by the way. Love that band! And i've just bought Led Zeppelin's greatest hits and i wonder why the flippin' fu*k i've never bought any of their stuff before? Absolutely fantastic!

Its nice to know that people understand where i'm coming from. Music has lost its soul in a way and the only stuff i listen to more than most is old stuff now because i appreciate it a hell of a lot more than i do this new stuff.

M-S Towner,

Really good post dude!

I know what you mean about Radio 1. I rarely listen anymore in my spare time but at work, its always on and i constantly hear what they consider to be the big stuff at the moment. Terrible station.

I understand about the mickey taking in the Monkeys lyrics, but to be surrounded by these townies when i was up in Sheffield for three years was horrible and the manic obsession they had with them up there was just not for me.

Oasis too have had their day and live off the past. But them for me were the band who said everything i was thinking when i was growing up and that to me is how music should be. Substance in all forms. It's a shame they have just sat back and reaped the benefits of their early success instead of building on it.

'I think it is becoming to easy to brand music as Indie.'

I think that comment sums it up. And at the same time, its this reason that i think has ruined Indie music and the culture for me in recent years. I would so love for there to be a period of Indie music like in the 90's with all those great ideas and views instead of just things like i mentioned in my last thread.

I love music and especially music that hits me like i've been kicked in the balls (in a good way!). I still get that from the Foo's and Queens of the Stone Age. (I really liked the new Smashing Pumpkins album) And i love music that moves me like Sigur Ros and Massive Attack. Not to sure about Arcade Fire and Maximo Park, although they sound like they like to kick ass and so i can respect that.

And Kate Nash is Satan in disguise. I think if she gets anymore popular, the world will see Judgement Day!

Originally Posted By: chalky boy
So why get all shirty then? I remember when you've said some dodgy stuff on here and i was always one of the first to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Now i get 'get over myself'.

Wasn't very happy about that if it was meant like it sounded.

It was meant like it sounded. My comment was nothing to do with British Sea Power and I couldn't care less if you or anyone else likes them. It makes no odds to me.
I take a issue with a handful of comments you and a couple of others have made recently. Really, I'd laugh at the pomposity if I didn't suspect you meant it.

Hold up Ribbit! What comment have i made on here that warrants me to be labelled pompous by you? Especially when we have spoken on here in the past and you have been nice to me? Pompous stands for self-important and arrogant. I haven't said anything like that or been derogatory to anyone and have expressed an opinion which many people have taken part in and been pleasant about.

I didn't know an opinion or an in-depth discussion about music could be as such. And it was started by a band making a song about something bad that happened to the island and it sounds like this singer is mocking it in his lyrics a little.

Your comments are the only ones that say otherwise and for what seems like no reason other than to spite.

I think if anyone sounds pompous right now Ribbit, its you. Nasty little bloke aren't ya?

I'm perfectly aware of what pompous means - I wouldn't have used it otherwise. I'm not being spiteful, I'm just sick to death of people making jumped up comments like a few of you do. But don't worry you're not the only one, we're infested with them on here at the moment.

Oh, and if pointing out that your every post irritates me deeply is 'nasty', then I don't know what isn't.

Chalky Boy:-

You seem very keen to label and categorise. "Indie", "chav" and so on. You also seem eager to let us all know what an expert you are by namechecking lots of bands. Yet you clearly are ignorant of British Sea Power. British Sea Power are not vacuous or shallow. They are one of the more intelligent bands and certainly don't blindly follow trends.

You criticise a lack of independence in current "indie" (your tag, not mine) then praise mid 90s bands like oasis, blur and pulp. Oasis were the most unoriginal and derivative band to ever claim both commercial success and any cool credentials. Right from their first CD they were borrowing from various 70s bands, the Beatles, and openly plagiarising T-Rex and the New Seekers. Pulp's Jarvis Cocker admits his lyrical style is heavily influenced by Jaques Brel, Scott Walker. Blur are more original but still "reinvent" The Kinks, Small Faces and Pavement.

I like Oasis. I like Pulp. I like Blur. I also like some of the bands from this century. If you don't label musicians and put them in categories, you may find that you do too.

Merry Christmas

WE COME DOWN PARK LANE WATCHING THE CANVEY

AND WE HAVE STEVE CORBELL ON THE RIGHT

WOOOOOHHH OOOOHHHH THE YOSI-ALIKE

To the tune of 'The Isrealites' by Desmond Decker!!!

Originally Posted By: LOS
well apparently this is the kind of music that the glorius Isle is famous for. Checkout THE legendary Canvey nite-spot that is alas no more. Worth a view, but got sweet FA to do with football.
You Tube - Top Island Nite-spot

What a place!!! Looking at your avatar, I think I recognize you. Remember the midget throwing on a Sunday afternoon, what entertainment !!!!