Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

South Kilburn FC

Rhodes

Does anybody happen to know the state of play with South Kilburn's Leisure Centre pitch at Vale Farm adjacent to Wembley FC, I heard on the grapevine that a lot of work will be required before it is playable again.

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody has answered my post so I found this on the another Forum, does anyone have any thoughts and are South Kilburn using their main pitch again:

South Kilburn 1, Rayners Lane 3

Hellenic League Division One East

at Vale Farm OUTER PITCH.

Admission: free if you just walked in, as many did. £4 if you wanted a programme.

Crowd: No idea, don't do 'head counts' but looked about 120-ish.

I don't usually post on this thread, the majority of grounds I go to are with Dulwich Hamlet, or ones most people have posted about before.

I was due at Champion Hill, but our league game with Whyteleafe was postponed, as we drew at home to Sevenoaks Town on Saturday.

So I decided, at the last moment, to go to South Kilburn, the middle match in the 'Hellenic Hop' today, & the fitst time I've ever been at a 'hop' match.

I paid my £4 for a programme at the main entrance, & it wasn't until I was in the main 'stadium' that I heard the game was in doubt! It was hastily rearranged on the adjacent pitch, thanks to the assistance of a Hellenic League official, who put lot of pressure on a very uncooperative referee & Rayners Lane team.

It eventually kicked off half an hour late, at 3.00pm, rather than 2.30pm, which scuppered my chances of 'bunking in' next door for the last half hour of Hendon v. Aveley, in the Isthmian Premier.

The main pitch was deemed unplayable, as flint was coming up through the ground, a fair decision by some hoppers who had inspected it, but South Kilburn have already played four games on it!

Whilst I don't begrudge South Kilburn the four quid....what a rip off for an open pitch next door! But at least the game was on. A few went to the Hendon game next door, & I heard a few more had gone off to Hayes & Yeading. Most people were happy enough to see a match on the pitch as a 'bonus', as it was an unusual 'tick', though there was one bloke moaning to anyone who would listen that he had already 'done this pitch' in the Middlesex League, as it's a former base of Willesden Constantine! ;-)

The game itself was a poor standard from where I was viewing, I've not seen a game in this division before, which is why I was a bit disappointed it wasn't on the main pitch. A disused fence is set round that, the running track is overgrown & totally disused. Around the touchline, inside the track so to speak, it's railed off all the way round, but there's no other spectator facilities.

I've seen games at a supposed lower level (I think) in the Kent County League Premier, & found the matches I've seen in that much better fare.

Still a game was a game, all the goals in the second half, the first a penalty from the visitors that awoke me from my stupor. I wouldn't usually count the pitch, by my own rules, as I don't know who plays on it, but as people said it's a former Willesden Constantine venue I've 'ticked' it.

At least I popped into Wembley FC after the Hendon game had finished, to take some more snaps for my grounds blog.

Before I sign off, moan over, I'd like to congratulate the Hop organisers, who kept everyone loudly & politely informed of what was going on, highly professional, if I may say so. Well done chaps!

They even arranged for the Hop coach to stop off at Hayes & Yeading, if anyone was heading there, though they would have had to make their own way there.

• 4 months later...

I happened across some interesting shots of South Kilburn's home at Vale Farm:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/2009/11/south-kilburn.html

• 2 months later...

I happened across this report on the another Forum from last night (thursday), it doesn't make any sense that the Club don't charge admission, although maths isn't my strong point I believe 75 paying punters at £3 equates to £225. Also why only print 25 programmes:

Hellenic League Div.1 East

South Kilburn 0 Wokingham & Embrook 4

att 75

adm-not charged,

prog-didn't manage to get but only 20-25 printed.

Delays on the Bakerloo line meant that we arrived around 15mins late and by this

time W&E were 1 up, just arrived to see the W&E 'keeper being sent off and despite

being down to 10 they managed to be 3 up at the break.

Certainly not a game that will live long in the memory and despite the 4th going in after the

SK 'keeper let it slip through him,the hosts contrived to hit the woodwork on 2 or 3 occasions

in the second half.

Spent the evening in the decent company of Scoffer and can confirm the pitch is still rather

bad ! Go outside and it has a touch of the old communist East feel to it.

• 1 month later...

Do we know whether South Kilburn will still be plying their trade at the somewhat delapidated 'outer sanctum' at Vale Farm next season:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/2009/11/south-kilburn.html

• 3 weeks later...

I agree i was match sec with bedfont green res last season and was embarrased when the awayteams came down to us the pitch is awful and clubhouse/changing rooms were ****.its a shame i remeber it having a bar a few yrs back but ithink there has been a lot of vandlism and illegal dumping in the car park.

• 2 months later...

South Kilburn are really struggling this season aren't they which is unlike them, with no wins as yet they picked up only their second point of the campaign on Saturday at fellow strugglers Penn & Tylers Green

they picked up only their second point of the campaign on Saturday at fellow strugglers Penn & Tylers Green

Further to the above, there is a match report on the Penn & Tylers Green website, it sounds as if South Kilburn were somewhat unfortunate not to pick up all three points on Saturday:

http://www.penntylersgreenfc.co.uk/2010/09/19/stalemate-at-the-meadows/#more-723

I don't recall having seen this link previosly from last season's London Senior Cup 3rd Round tie between South Kilburn and Hendon, it's quite extaordinary how the game was allowed to go ahead:

http://dubsteps.blogspot.com/2009/12/south-kilburn-2-hendon-3.html

• 2 weeks later...

Do we know what happened with South Kilburn on Saturday who somehow managed to beat Didcot Town Reserves 5-0, was anybody at Vale Farm to witness it

• 8 months later...

Do we know the reason why South Kilburn moved across to the Combined Counties League

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get that from the horses, namely Mick Jennings, mouth then