Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 13-December 17 )

• Photo
    hairbear

• Photo
    Ramschav

• Photo
    Hitby

Photo

Andy - Referees!!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
8 replies to this topic

offline Richard C

Richard C
  • Reserves Coach
http://www.nationwid...nf&ID=61858&W=0

offline Jeff

Jeff
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Referee Darren Deadman cautioned six players and dismissed one during the game, infuriating Ford who landed himself in deep water by expressing his annoyance to assessor Paul Alcock while play was still in progress.

1. Referee was called 'Deadman' - hmm, irony.
2. Did Andy push Alcock over?

offline David Holden

David Holden
  • Youth Team Coach
  • Supports: Gravesend & Northfleet
  • Foes: Dartford
So in the two matches that he has refereed for us, he has handed out 14 yellow cards.

offline Fezpian

Fezpian
  • Trainee
Years ago (early 1980's) there was a referee that graced the playing field at Stonebridge Rd with his no-nonsense, common sense and totally committed handling of the games. I can't remember his name but he was generally knicknamed 'crazy horse' and became renowned for his effort and was a welcomed name on the program sheet. He would charge around the pitch and was very fit for his age. His style was such that he was more offen than not running alongside the attacking strikers and spuring them on with a "go for it son" message that all could hear, dispelling any doubt of offside. He was a legend with discipline but far from excessive with cards. I remember him rush over and call after a defender that hacked a player down " Nice one lad but one more and you're off" without a yellow card even being pulled out. The players knew he wasn't joking! Those were the days when the captains had words with their team; or else. If he reached into his pocket, there were no protests, the player was usually on his way before his number was written in the book knowing he'd had his chances! The other aspect I remember about the man was when a free kick was taken he would stand leaning forward with his hands placed above his knees as though he was ready to spring off and take part in the play! He was quite a tall man and thick set so he had little trouble sorting hot headed young players out. He was always fair, as I recall, and would sometimes acknowledge the crowd if a witty comment passed his ear. It would be interesting to see a few more of that ilk and calibre today.

Does anybody remember him?

offline Bloodnock

Bloodnock
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
I take the ref was the same divot who took charge of our game at Woking this year,he only took note of Fleets transgressions during the first half (some of which only he understood),and in the second half only seemed to punish Woking.
I can only assume that the assesors are pretty useless as well.

offline Brian A

Brian A
  • Trainee
I'm not sure it's the same man but from your description there is only one ref I can recall and that was Len Bartell - he always made the game an enjoyable one.

offline Fezpian

Fezpian
  • Trainee
Thanks Brian A. Yes, I remember that name from the past and it is possibly the referee I remember. What a character! Usually you came away from ground having seen a hard fought game with little stoppages compared with some of the games played today. Is it that the referees feel under such pressure these days that they can't stray from their directed path and use a bit of common sense? Is it a coincidence that occasionally when we get a referee that exhibits a bit of common sense that there seems to be stimulated a flowing and entertaining game? Why is it that one game can produce 6 yellow cards and a sending off and others with heavier tackles produce just a few stern warnings and the odd yellow card! Something is not right with the game!

offline Alan W (GNFC)

Alan W (GNFC)
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Those were the days that games always used to finish by 445 - these days games often drag on to within a few minutes of 5pm !!

offline Fezpian

Fezpian
  • Trainee
Yes, There was always a chant from the crowd about missing Dr Who if it went beyond 4:45pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus