Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 13-December 17 )

• Photo
    hairbear

• Photo
    Ramschav

• Photo
    Hitby

Photo

A Legend Dies R.I.P.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
6 replies to this topic

offline UP FLEET

UP FLEET
  • First XI - Sub

It is with deep regret that we announce the death of Bill Nicholson OBE. Bill passed away peacefully at a Hertfordshire hospital early this morning after a long fight against illness. He was 85. Tottenham Hotspur Chairman, Daniel Levy commented: “Bill’s death is a tragedy for the whole of football but particularly so for his family and all of us at Spurs. He was loved by everyone at White Hart Lane and there is no doubt that he in turn loved this Club. “He will never be forgotten. “Bill Nicholson devoted his whole life to Tottenham Hotspur and to our fans and will never be surpassed as the greatest individual in our history. “He lifted Spurs from mediocrity to the sublime as we became the first British club to win a European trophy and to so many wonderful achievements such as that special ‘Double’ of 1961. “Throughout it all, as player and manager, he did things his own way. His teams played with his own brand of attacking flair, entertaining all the way. Indeed he made our famous old Spurs cockerel crow with pride. “He was a giant of the game and was deservedly held in high esteem and with intense respect throughout football. He was our Club President and a man that we all looked up to and whose presence we sought. “We at Spurs owe it to Bill and to his memory to maintain his vision and to ensure that his achievements remain our inspiration in the years to come.

offline Guest__*

Guest__*
  • rank
Does anyone know if Bill Nick actually ever played at Northfleet? Charles Webster referred to his involvement with Northfleet FC as Spurs nursery club.

offline Unrecognized Genius

Unrecognized Genius
  • First XI - Weekly Contract
I haven't looked for a while to see if it's still there, but there used to be a notice in the players' tunnel, listing our most famous past players, including I believe those from the Northfleet United days & I'm almost certain Bill Nicholson was included.

More to the point, about 20 years ago or more, there were some really old photos going round in the bar & unless I really am going gaga, one was of a Northfleet United team, with Bill in the middle of the front row, as captain, holding either a trophy or one of those ancient heavyweight footballs.

EC

offline Charles Webster

Charles Webster
Yesterday's Sunday Times reported that illy Nick signed for Spurs in 1936 and was sent to their nursery club, Northfleet United.

offline carjam

carjam
Read his autobiography. Ne certainly did.

A sad day.

offline Mepis

Mepis
  • First XI - Sub's Bench
A great man indeed, the best, a very sad day for all football fans, and for those of us who were around to see that Spurs team of the early sixties thank you Bill very much, and yes he did play for Northfleet as did many other Spurs legends.

offline American FLEET FAN No1

American FLEET FAN No1
  • Youth Team Coach
I once had the great pleasure of talking to Ronnie Burgess. He told me that all the Spurs players(including Billy Nicholson)thoroughly enjoyed their days at Northfleet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus