Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The kick-in

TRS

I know there are some ex-Isthmian types on here. Anyone remember the kick-in experiment (early/mid 90's?). Think it was only trialled in the Isthmian for a season as I remember watching Dorking games when this was introduced (had to signal to the ref you were going to do a kick-in rather than a throw-in from memory). Don't think I ever saw any goals result - guess it wasn't a success as never continued. Anyone play in those days and if so what did you think of the rule? I do remember when it was trialled someone moaning the only person it would benefit would be John Fashanu who would get 40 goals a season. Bloomin' cheek! laugh

Remember it well TRS. We were in div 3 and Collier Row won the title on the back of that rule. They had some guy who could kick a ball 100 yards. Wherever the ball went out they would send the big men into the box and they had a few and then launch the missile in there. It was shocking. Never seen so many throw in flags disputed by the other sides smile It was truly dreadful. Cant believe they trail rubbish like that and bin the ten yard tule.

Originally Posted By: Bitch
Originally Posted By: TRS
and look what happened to Collier Row!!

Can't understand why they didn't carry on with the 10 yard rule though.

What 10 yard rule?

If you give the ref lip after he awards a free kick, he takes the ball forward 10 yards.

Remember that season well (1994-95). We had a new goalkeeper join us around September, Andy Little (now at AFC Wimbledon), who had just moved down south from Sheffield. We forgot to tell him about the rule!!!

His first 2 games for us were FA Cup games, where the kick-in rule didn't apply. He was then toally bemused by his first league game for us, and was giving the ref all kinds of lip in the first half for all these unaccountable 'free-kicks' the ref was giving on the touch-line! grin

We scored twice in 5 minutes from kick-ins against Banstead, sometime around March, and that that was our total success rate from kick-ins!

It was always a daft rule, and thankfully got kicked out at the end of the season. Had no problem with the Isthmian League trialling it out - some of the trials they had were pretty successfully e.g. 3 points for a win.

Also agree, why didn't the 10 yard rule stay. Just nededed a tweak to make it non-mandatory if the original position was better for the attacking team

Stupid stupid rule. Was with Uxbridge during that season in Ryman 1 league.

All pattern of play went out of the window and in effect the box was loaded up whenever you got a 'throw' from anywhere near the half way line ala corner style.

Was fecking hilarious watching some of the attempts to keep the ball on the island around the pitch as a result though!

You loved it Duncs. All those long balls giving you the opportunity to back in to centre backs, stamp on their feet and stick your elbow in their faces wink

TRS

Funny you should bring this up as I was talking about this last week and no one believed me.

You would of seen me play then as I was playing in Goal for Dorking that year.

Was a really stupid rule and was never going to work.

I also think in that year it was the first time a lady Ref had taken a game at that level. Was a odd game to play in as the players did not no how to react to situations.