Jump to content
Welcome to the new software - Please read! Read more... ×
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  

EFM 3-3 SS (aet)

Recommended Posts

Final score from the Steve Clark Memorial Trophy Annual Challenge Match between EFM and Saints Supporters FC was 3-3, after extra time. I'll let someone else go into more detail but for the last 25 minutes of the game any neutral supporter would have thought that Piper and Cockram had both come back to the park, when in actual fact it was merely GHA and Gary Roberts acting out the roles of midfield maestros for EFM.<p>The lineups were as follows. They have been translated from the teamsheet I was given, written out by Jon Sherwood and James Brewer. Apologies for spelling, mistakes, grammatical errors, or leaving you out completely. What can you do?<p>EFM<p>1. Wilkes

2. Kendall

3. Chard

4. Free

5. Haggs

6. Costello

7. Barks

8. Griffiths

9. Cornish (1)

10. Ashley (1)

11. Pendridge<p>12. Lawrence

14. King

15. Turner

16. Thorns

17. Gary Roberts

18. GHA

19. Sam

20. Sherwood

21. Donelly (1) (pen)<p>

SS<p>1. Loz Edwards

2. Gary Tomlinson

3. Greg Hester

4. R. Philpott

5. Tim Gould

6. Howard Long

7. Martin Godfrey (1)

8. Phil Hulkes

9. Paul Gipps

10. Sott Johnson

11. Gary Daines (1)<p>12. Dave Saintuarian (1)

13. Mark Hester

14. James Brewer

15. Nerys Hughes

16. Mark Norris

17. Barry McKay

18. Nick Crowther<p>

A vote for MOTM is on the site now. Anyone can vote. Bring on next season's match!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was indeed a good day all round. A full house for the Cup Final in the afternoon, a close and competitive game (and fair result) and drinking into the early hours. Only dampener was what I'm told were metatarsal breaks for Ben and Scott. Good to see Gary and John Gibson there too.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

SAINTS SUPPORTERS 3 EFM 3<p>A last minute equalizer by Saints Supporters Dave Sainturan gave the Saints a scarcely deserved draw in Saturday's Steve Clark Trophy match at Clarence Park, but EFM can take heart from a performance that boded well for next season. In front of a healthy crowd, EFM had the best of the earlier challenges, but were unlucky to lose Ben Griffiths after just 3 minutes when he broke his metatarsal bone. After 8 minutes, the Saints took the lead when Gary Daines headed home unmarked from a corner.<p>That may have been the start of a rout, but EFM dug their heels in and played some of their best football of the season. Mark Pendred should have levelled when he was put through by Dave Ashley but scuffed his shot, while at the other end John Wilkins saved well from a shot by Paul Gibbs. An equalizer followed after twenty-five minutes when Dave Ashley shot home from close range after a crossfield pass by Mark Pendred. EFM had the best chances to score for the remainder of the first half, the best of them falling to Andy Cornish, who was put through on goal, but put the ball over the crossbar. <p>The half-time break brought changes from both sides, but anybody expecting EFM to roll over and die would have been disappointed. Ten minutes after the break, the Monkeyboys took the lead when Andy Cornish headed home via the underside of the crossbar from a Gary Roberts corner. Five minutes later Anthony Costello had a chance to double the lead, but he spooned Anthony Donnelly's cross over the goal from five yards out. At the other end, Wilkins made a good save with his legs from a shot by Martin Godfrey, and Paul Gibbs narrowly missed the top corner with an angled shot from twelve yards out. <p>Saints Supporters levelled again midway through the second half, when a cross to the far post resulted in an unmarked man at the far post heading back across goal. This time, Wilkinscould only parry the ball and Martin Godfrey shot home from close range. Still, however, EFM didn't fold, and fifteen minutes from time they retook the lead from the penalty spot. Ian King's thirty-five yard pass sent Dave Ashley through, and he was cynically brought down by Saints goalkeeper Philpott. Anthony Donnelly put the penalty into the bottom left-hand corner of the net. <p>With time running out for the Saints, EFM were forced onto the back foot. Even manager John Sherwood found time to give himself a run out, though the two minutes that he'd promised himself turned into ten including the injury time that was lavishly awarded by the referee. Deep into stoppage time, Sniffer Thorns conceded a free-kick just outside the penalty area. Dave Sainturan flicked home the header from it.<p>At 90 minutes, EFM were happy either to settle for the draw or to go straight to a penalty shoot-out, but were made to play extra-time. The match was abandoned as a draw five minutes into the first period when Saints' Scott Johnson unfortunately broke his ankle challenging for the ball. <p>In the end, a fair result... though Saints Supporters will doubtlessly feel that they underplayed. For EFM, however, it was a moral victory and an indicator that the days of being England's First Monkeyboys could soon be at an end.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I should consult my copyright lawyers over that. Anyway, apologies to anybody if I got the names wrong or anything like that (we'll make a programme for it next year). Anyway, thanks to James & Vicky (who I can only presume slept at the clubhouse on Sunday night, judging by their presence back behind the bar for Sunday afternoon's V & D League Cup Final at the Park), Paul, John & everybody else who put in the leg work to get Saturday's game going. Also, a quick "get well soon" to Ben & Scott on behalf of The Firm.<p>By the way, for anybody of a particular persuasion, photos are available on the EFM website.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

E.F.M showed themselves to be top dogs in a thrilling encounter, Well done all involved. Apologies to all saints supporters as the E.F.M match report has got the main incidents involving Saints supporters wrong, names scorers e.t.c. well if I am not consulted what do you expect. But what a great P!ss up afterwards. Well done james & Vicky.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this