Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cup Finals

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Southmidsfan - I'm afraid to say that I have to agree with you, 'Sugar' is bound to say that the young blonde Assistant was okay but I think he was out of his depth for a Cup Final and appeared nervous throughout.

As someone who was there,and not viewing from the end of the pitch. he got about as many offsides right as the typical Premiership lino on the telly!

Horace - Does it matter where I was standing, I could have been viewing the game from the Club House window and still been able to see that one or two of the decisions were onside particularly the one referred to by Southmidsfan.

Regardless of the outcome i though it was a decent game of football with both teams trying to play the ball on the deck.

The game was played in a good spirit which is important.

Ampthill had some chances which they obvioulsy didn't take .

In particular i don't think anyone can blame the assistant ref when the Ampthill player was clean through on the right wing, had 2 unmarked forwards racing into the box, squared it and the forward smashed it over the bar from 8 yards!!

Haringey also had a number of close efforts from set pieces which flashed past the post.

Both teams could have scored more but simply didn't take their chances and that's what the game is all about.

Originally Posted By: Doug
Regardless of the outcome i though it was a decent game of football with both teams trying to play the ball on the deck.

In particular i don't think anyone can blame the assistant ref when the Ampthill player was clean through on the right wing, had 2 unmarked forwards racing into the box, squared it and the forward smashed it over the bar from 8 yards!!

Haringey also had a number of close efforts from set pieces which flashed past the post.

Both teams could have scored more but simply didn't take their chances and that's what the game is all about.

Doug, I agree with your comments.

One exception: your centre forward did not play the game in a 'good spirit'.

Southmidsfan - Didn't Stuart Reynolds have a great game, I thought he was out of this World and surely wasting his time at Ampthill Town, no disrespect.

Is anyone planning a visit to Harefield United this evening, I just wanted to warn Football Man off that I'm hoping to attend however I'm sure he is considering either Frenford Snr v Harold Wood Athletic or Galleywood v Manford Way in the Essex Olympian Premier Division.

Football Man - Just to let you know I'm still planning to be at Preston Park this evening for the Premier Division final, have you decided on Frenford Snr v Harold Wood Athletic or Galleywood v Manford Way yet.

Southmidsfan - Didn't Stuart Reynolds have a great game, I thought he was out of this World and surely wasting his time at Ampthill Town, no disrespect.

Didn't score though but he did well to identify that their right full back was their weakest link. He exploited that well and managed to take the mickey out of him quite a few times in the second half.

Stu has great potential but does not play like that all the time as you well know from his performance against Kentish only a few weeks ago.

He has expressed a desire to try and play a higher standard next year but no one is asking him and where do you go when you live in Bletchley?

Originally Posted By: southmidsfan
Originally Posted By: Doug

Doug, I agree with your comments.

One exception: your centre forward did not play the game in a 'good spirit'.

I don't want to start a row but maybe that was because the no 4 spent the whole first half kicking him!! I was behind the goal and saw it all at set pieces. I do accept however that he did make some unnecessary comments during the first half which were not sporting and not condoned by me and the others who heard it.I can only apologise for that. The rest of our team and supporters gave your lads a warm reception when collecting your medals and everyone had a good laugh and a joke after the game which was nice to see.

and where do you go when you live in Bletchley?

Er how about Nortampton Town or Rushden and Diamonds, I really believe Reynolds is good enough to give it a go at that sort of level, he's a natural and was light years ahead of the rest of your team on Saturday although as you rightly point out he didn't score. He did set up that simple chance though for one of your players who skied it over when it was easier to score, Ronny Rosentahl would have been proud of that.

Originally Posted By: Willo the Cat
Have to agree Doug, that number 4 was a dirty player and he got what he asked for. What do you think SMF wink biglaugh

Willo you know I was number 4!

Doug, I was playing as a spare man and did not mark him. Our number 5 was the one having a major 'ding-dong' with him.

I was very unhappy about his comments both during the game and at half time but I appreciate your apology on behalf of the club and the other players. Thank you, this will not be mentioned again.

Rhodes I will suggest to Stuart that he tries Rushden or Northampton - are they in need of new club mascots with silly hair do you know???????

Southmidsfan - Apparently Ry Hardy has a reputation in the Islington Midweek League where he plays for some outfit called Admiral, it's more 'street football', albeit played on astroturf, and very much survival of the fitest but not in the physical sense if you get what I mean.

As for Stuart Reynolds I was being perfectly serious when I suggested he could play at Conference or even Football League level, he's an outstanding player and with the proper coaching, training and diet he could go all the way, how old is he.

Hi Southmids, i didn't know you were the no 4, i wish i did , we could have had a chat after, you must admit though that you did have a few digs at Ry in the first half.I actually thought the 5 was very restrained when our skipper squirted the keeper's water in his face . I don't think i would have reacted so calmly but when i played i was more like your man on the touchline who later came on as sub!! ie cool calm and collected!!!!

Good luck next season. I am sure you will be right up there.

Stuart Reynolds is only 22 so he certainly does still have time on his side.

The crazed, short skin head on the side line was our manager. He is terrible on the bench. He never shuts up.

We have a game tonight, second leg of semi-final (2-2) against Buckingham Town. This season never seems to want to end for us.

We have a game tonight, second leg of semi-final (2-2) against Buckingham Town. This season never seems to want to end for us.

Yes there is a thread on the game on another's Forum, I hope you get some deserved consolation for losing on Saturday although Buckingham Athletic are no mugs at home when they're in the mood:

Just to let you all know,that if any of you are looking for a game tonight in the Bucks/Oxon/Northants area,that Buckingham Town are at home to Ampthill Town in the Buckigham Charity Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg.

Yes there is a thread on the game on another's Forum, I hope you get some deserved consolation for losing on Saturday although Buckingham Athletic are no mugs at home when they're in the mood:

Good job they're playing Buckingham Town then.

Originally Posted By: HTFCew
Challenge Trophy Final Brimsdown Rovers V Chalfont St Peter
Date - Tuesday 29th April 2008
Venue - Hanwell Town
Kick Off time - 7.45pm
Officials - Referee - M. Mackay
Assistant Referee - P. Panayiotou
Assistant Referee - C. Checketts
4th Official - C. O

Originally Posted By: HTFCew
Challenge Trophy Final Brimsdown Rovers V Chalfont St Peter
Date - Tuesday 29th April 2008
Venue - Hanwell Town
Kick Off time - 7.45pm
Officials - Referee - M. Mackay
Assistant Referee - P. Panayiotou
Assistant Referee - C. Checketts
4th Official - C. O

I think there is more to it then that, obviously the four allocated officials last Tuesday, namely Mr Mackay, Mr Panayotiou, Mr Checketts and Mr O'Donnell wouldn't miss a prestige Cup Final despite the inconvenience of a re-arrangement of both date and venue however if it were a run of the mill league game all the excuses under the sun would be coming out.