Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Jack Sparrow
Does anyone know when the fixtures for all divisions are printed? Also, will the whole season's fixtures be done now?

The whole season's fixtures will NOT be issued. It is claimed that all of the early cup games make this impossible. The SSMFL August/Sept fixtures will not be issued until the FA Cup and Vase draws have been published (1 July according to Rhodes)

Originally Posted By: Horace
It is claimed that all of the early cup games make this impossible

Well surely that goes without saying, Phil Rolt has an uphill task at the best of times but August and September must be a nightmare for the poor man with possible FA Cup and FA Vase replays to take into account, I wouldn't swap places with him for all the tea in China.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
It is claimed that all of the early cup games make this impossible

Well surely that goes without saying, Phil Rolt has an uphill task at the best of times but August and September must be a nightmare for the poor man with possible FA Cup and FA Vase replays to take into account, I wouldn't swap places with him for all the tea in China.

I admit that it makes life difficult, but SSMFL could learn from other leagues, who DO manage to deal with the issue.

Horace - Thanks for finally holding your hands up and admitting Phil Rolt has a difficult job in producing a seasons fixtures, also haven't you heard the term 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Horace - Thanks for finally holding your hands up and admitting Phil Rolt has a difficult job in producing a seasons fixtures, also haven't you heard the term 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

It IS broke(n)!

In what way is it, the SSML works just fine and is the envy of most League's in the Country.

In what way is it, the SSML works just fine and is the envy of most League's in the Country.

Here we go again. Let's analyse that statement "it is the envy of most Leagues in the Country". Evidence please? I reckon that you have no knowledge of what any of the dozens of other leagues in the country think of the SSMFL. Nor do I, but I reckon many have hardly heard of it, never mind envy it.
But some comparable leagues manage to set their fixtures for the whole season. And have bank holiday fixtures, and local derbies on dates to suit the clubs. The Biggleswade derby last season was a classic example where the league's attitude was lamentable. And St Margaretsbury were robbed of a substantial gate when we were the visitors, by similarly playing it on a cold winter's night in this case the week before Christmas! You regularly accuse me of making money my "god", but an extra

Horace - Yes we have this same old Chesnut season after season and I'm afraid that I still can't see it your way, Boxing Day, New Year's Day, Good Friday and Easter Monday are Religious holidays and time for families to spend together. You are simply looking at it from a financial aspect mentioning a potential windfall at Biggleswade and St Margaretsbury, a Biggleswade derby and St Margaretsbury v Hertford Town should attract a bumper gate on a freezing Tuesday night in February as well as on 26 December or 1 January so your argument doesn't hold water.

All well and good. But a local derby match on a Saturday instead of a freezing Tuesday night a couple of weeks before Xmas would be better - for the fans and for the home club. Striving for and achieving higher attendances also reflects better on the League. If we are not drawn at home to Bigg Utd and Langford on a Saturday this season it will be most disappointing. If we are, I will certainly advertise the matches in the local press to try and ensure the best possible turnout. I think Horace is singing from the same hymn sheet, with a little thought the league can help clubs maximise local interest. Surely that can't be a bad thing?

Of course it does! The evidence is there in past fixtures. Boxing Day produces huge crowds, with all the blokes desperate to get out of the house after Christmas Day, and all the visiting relatives to accompany them! Easter Monday is another cracking day for a fixture - and of course local derbies are best. By the way, how does New Year's Day figure as a religious holiday? I have already been put in my place by Uncle for saying that Boxing Day wasn't a religious holiday, but how many people regard it as such?

When you have no supporter base at all, as in the case of Haringey and Kentish Town, it makes no difference, but clubs with a sound supporter base definitely benefit from local derbies on attractive days.

Of course it does! The evidence is there in past fixtures. Boxing Day produces huge crowds, with all the blokes desperate to get out of the house after Christmas Day, and all the visiting relatives to accompany them! Easter Monday is another cracking day for a fixture - and of course local derbies are best. By the way, how does New Year's Day figure as a religious holiday? I have already been put in my place by Uncle for saying that Boxing Day wasn't a religious holiday, but how many people regard it as such?
When you have no supporter base at all, as in the case of Haringey and Kentish Town, it makes no difference, but clubs with a sound supporter base definitely benefit from local derbies on attractive days.
I Think part of your post is a little bit sexist, assuming that ALL the blokes want to get out of the house. I suppose it depends on what your home life is like!! Also, it may be a way of some supporters escaping their dull home lives, but has anybody thought of the players themselves who would not be able to enjoy Christmas night or New Years eve, because they can't have a late night or a drink, because of driving to the ground and then playing 90 minutes of football. Fair enough if they were professional footballers being paid a fortune in wages, but for most of them these dates are well earned rests from work.

Hi Hollie - I couldn't agree with you more, by the way Horace lives alone as far as I'm aware.

Originally Posted By: Hollie
I Think part of your post is a little bit sexist, assuming that ALL the blokes want to get out of the house. I suppose it depends on what your home life is like!! Also, it may be a way of some supporters escaping their dull home lives, but has anybody thought of the players themselves who would not be able to enjoy Christmas night or New Years eve, because they can't have a late night or a drink, because of driving to the ground and then playing 90 minutes of football. Fair enough if they were professional footballers being paid a fortune in wages, but for most of them these dates are well earned rests from work.

according to Rhodes these days are religious holidays...so they shouldnt be drinking!

Ignoring the debate regarding the timing of local derbies and what does or doesn't constitute a religious holiday, what possible reason can a league have for not publishing a full seasons fixtures in advance? You know when the season starts, you know when it ends and so therefore you know exactly how many match days you have available and you know how many fixtures you need to play. Most other leagues are able to plan for a full season, why not the SSML?

Does anybody know the definitive answer? (as opposed to wild guesses smile )

Originally Posted By: HTFCew
No they're not

Boxing Day is otherwise known as St Stephens Day which is a religious holiday, I thought 'the font of all knowledge' would have known that.