Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

sjj - Of course you are welcome here. I'm afraid the subject of the SSML fixture list is a divisive one on here. Some believe it is ok in a month by month format, some couldn't really care and some desperately want the league to produce a full list before the start of the season. Everytime it is mentioned on here an argument breaks out, perhaps that is why the replies have been the way they have been to your question and other regular posters have been reluctant to get involved.

The nub of it I believe is that the SSML feel that FA competitions create too much of a headache for the early league fixtures. If that is the case I still can't see why from the end of September a full list can't then be produced for the bulk of the season. The league have not commented as far as I know as to why this cannot happen.

Perhaps if someone wrote to the league to ask them, the reply could be posted on here and that would put an end to any speculation.

Fair enough Darter, I've seen enough of this forum to know how things go.

Rhodes, seeing as it was you who told me to leave here and stick to posting on the TK site would you like to explain why you have posted in my thread on that site that I am only trying to make waves? I asked a question here and got no response so I went elsewhere to try and find an answer. How is that "making waves?"

You managed to answer my question over there, and provided a bit more useful information, so why couldn't you do it here?

It just goes to reinforce my view that my "face doesn't fit" on this forum. If that is the case then so be it, but please don't start chasing me around to have a pop wherever else I choose to post. Feel free to edit your TK posting and remove the personal reference. The rest, as I say, is useful.

Wader,

I appreciate that, thank-you. I think my previous post about my face not fitting was being written as you posted your message hence it looked like I was responding to you.

Rhodes - over to you to explain your actions........

Originally Posted By: Wader
I'm afraid the subject of the SSML fixture list is a divisive one on here. Some believe it is ok in a month by month format, some couldn't really care and some desperately want the league to produce a full list before the start of the season. Everytime it is mentioned on here an argument breaks out, perhaps that is why the replies have been the way they have been to your question and other regular posters have been reluctant to get involved.

The nub of it I believe is that the SSML feel that FA competitions create too much of a headache for the early league fixtures. If that is the case I still can't see why from the end of September a full list can't then be produced for the bulk of the season. The league have not commented as far as I know as to why this cannot happen.

Perhaps if someone wrote to the league to ask them, the reply could be posted on here and that would put an end to any speculation.

As someone who has played in the Spartan South Midlands league for a number of years, I would tend to wards the view that the system is broken. I used to check in and read this forum periodically last season and felt motivated to actually sign up and post having seen this thread and some of the points raised.

I am sympathetic with the point of view raised that the FA competitions early on make life hard on the fixture secretary. However, I agree with the view expressed by Wader (please correct me if I'm wrong here Wader) that it seems strange that they aren't able to publish a full seasons worth of fixtures from late September/early October onwards.

As a family man I like to be able to attend various family events etc. However, when I make a commitment to playing for a club I take it very seriously. It's very frustrating at times when a family member (my wife for example) is trying to arrange an event for two months time and I can't commit as I don't know the fixtures, whether I'm home or away, where I can get to on a Saturday night after the game etc.

I would also like to see more common sense used in scheduling and I don't see why it is a problem for local derbies to be arranged on Saturdays. I have to admit I prefer not being required for Boxing Day and New Years Day fixtures.

My final point on common sense is with regard to rearranging things when fixtures don't take place. Last year I was at Harefield United. We had to travel to Biggleswade (can't remember which one) for our away fixture no less than three times last season, all on a Tuesday night. The first game was called off 5 minutes before kick-off due to heavy rain and the referee taking the view it would not be possible to get the game finished (typically half-an-hour later it was obvious it would have been okay). The second game was called off 20 minutes in when fog had enveloped the pitch so that the linesman (sorry - referee's assistant) couldn't see across the full width (it did get worse this time as well).

After the second abandonment, the players were keen that the next replay should be on a Saturday. Please bear in mind here that it took over two hours for most of us to get there in very heavy traffic. We expressed this view to the management and the chairman. Now I have to admit that I don't know if a request was made to the league at this point for a Saturday fixture but when the rearranged fixture was announced it was a Tuesday night again. A little sympathy from the league might have been nice.

Okay - rant over ecki

I think most on here, except Rhodes, will whole heartedly agree with you ap! Is the 6' 6" albino still with you guys?

The solution to the fixture problem is blindingly simple. I've mentioned it on here before but I'll mention it again and see if anybody runs with it this time...

1) A whole season's fixtures are issued.

2) Where a game is postponed/abandoned for any reason (cup ties, weather, etc.), the two clubs involved must, within 14 days, agree a rearranged date (preferably, the earliest available mutual date) and notify the League's Fixture Secretary accordingly.

3) Where the two clubs can't/won't agree a new date within 14 days, the Fixture Secretary will rearrange the game for them and fine both clubs.

It's not rocket science. It just needs somebody to propose it as a Rule change at the AGM and for the other clubs to back it.

That's how it worked in the Ryman (can't remember about the fines bit though) and it wasn't a problem.

The vast amount of County Cups and outside competitions at this level doesn't help though. At Step 4 and above there is usually only the County Senior Cup to consider, and the counties seem to have organised themselves so these take place in the same week. It isn't always the case for Intermediate cups and the extra regional comps. It doesn't help that the League has 2 cup competitions either, especially now the divisions are growing in numbers of teams. Personally, I'd get rid of the divisional cup comps and just have the Challenge Trophy.

If the whole season's fixtures were done for the Prem, leaving gaps for the first couple of rounds of the FA Comps, teams that are knocked out early could rearrange midweek fixtures from later on in the season to fill in the gaps. It would also help if the County FAs announced their dates a bit earlier (but these are midweek so Saturdays aren't affected).

I was a fixture secretary for 4 years in the MHRML, so I know what a rotten job it is. It always seemed to be bad weather on the County Cup weekends, and in some cases league games got postponed for several weeks running waiting for the County games to actually take place.

It is a bummer of a job but I am in almost total agreement with FM; the fine bit in '3' is not needed as it just falls to the fixture secretary fixing a date and the teams having to like it.

If the whole season is too much work, then just do the first half of the season/round of fixtures, and in October/November the return fixtures.

But, of course, it is all very easy theoretically. smile

Hi Royals26 - How is life in the fast lane of another's Forum, I don't get on much these days.

Quote:
I think I may have seen you at the Warlingham v Knaphill game back in May but I wasn't sure so didn't say hello. Sorry.

Yup I wos there - with 'The Lad' and 'The Man In Black' as he used to be known, before his Jacket disintegrated. Expect I'll be 'hopping' around a few CCL games this season too. I half-looked out for you - since you'd posted that you were going - were you the chap with the stripy shirt and the 'HUGE' Camera?

RE Rhodes - yes I noticed you were a little quiet of late on 'the other board' - but see you're still able to spread yourself across a bewildering array of Topics:- Faroes, Swedish groundhops, FA Cup, Rotherham, Chelmsford Progs etc etc .....

... keep up the good work. I'll try and look you up wherever you end up helping - though the SSML isn't often at the forefront of my 'hopping'- I only 'ticked' Cockfosters last season - still got 13 to do in Prem and almost all of Div One.

I tend to keep the SSML in reserve for half-term evenings/Bank Hols.

My boy is keener than me on targetting this league - probably cos he doesn't have to do the driving round the M25 to get anywhere - by my reckoning necessary for all but four of the grounds in Prem and Div One from where we live in Sunny Berks.

I'll skulk back to the warmth & comfort of the NL Forum now.

Ta cool

Originally Posted By: royals26
... keep up the good work

Royals26 - Coming from you that means a great deal however
a lot of members on this Forum won't thank you for saying it

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Originally Posted By: royals26
... keep up the good work

Royals26 - Coming from you that means a great deal however
a lot of members on this Forum won't thank you for saying it

Rhodes,
thank you for thanking Royals26, she often pops up with fitting comments and rarely gets the praise from other members of thei forum for doing so

Greg Dyke - I always thought Royals26 was male

Quote:
Greg Dyke - I always thought Royals26 was male

Worthy of un-skulking... (just)

I actually have a kind of 70's Clint Eastwood look about me .....

..... 50 plus and balding!

..... and have been mistaken for Jack Russell (the wicketkeeper NOT the Dog)

..... and don't go trying to get Mr Rhodes over stimulated - I'm afraid to say I am all man - well 'male' anyhow - as I'm sure you knew !