Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What a waste of bloody time.

OldTowner

What a waste of bloody time today ... yet again.

How many of us checked all the web sites to make sure todays game was ON before travelling ?

At 1.30 pm I left for the game, glad that the match was ON.

When I arrived at the "empty car park" I spoke to one of the Redbridge Coaching Guys and he confirmed the game was off.

He advised, and I quote "the ref called it off about 10 to 2 - it should have been called off at 10.30 as the pitch is like a bogg in places and was never going to dry out" un-quote.

This is just a joke and shows that Clubs do not care about supporters travelling and wasting hard earned money on petrol etc.

Why cant the League introduce a rule that games MUST be agreed as on or off by 12.00noon. If declared on at 12 they must be played ( obviously, subject to heavy rain etc after 12 )

At Leyton and today the sun was shinning leading up to kickoff time.

I think this is now 4 games that supporters have travelled to thinking the game was on - only for it to be called off around 2.00pm.

The Jolly boys were nearly at the ground when The Hat got a call to say it was off, Im with OT what really could have happened between 12 & 2pm that could have improved the pitch.

This league is seriously depressing, oh for those Southern League days a few seasons ago.

i see a few of the towners at the brimmo today what did ya think of the game as harefield could possibly competing with the town next year should they go ryman north!!! pitch at brimmo today was in great condition and could of easily got away with a mould good work groundsman or men!!

Originally Posted By: PeterPan1
i see a few of the towners at the brimmo today what did ya think of the game as harefield could possibly competing with the town next year should they go ryman north!!! pitch at brimmo today was in great condition and could of easily got away with a mould good work groundsman or men!!

No doubt the best team won, but on that performance Harefield would struggle to stay up in my view. Not enough chances created against a side that really didn't look bothered and clearly can't wait for the season to finish. And had a central striker at left back, too!

Originally Posted By: OldTowner
What a waste of bloody time today ... yet again.

How many of us checked all the web sites to make sure todays game was ON before travelling ?

At 1.30 pm I left for the game, glad that the match was ON.
When I arrived at the "empty car park" I spoke to one of the Redbridge Coaching Guys and he confirmed the game was off.
He advised, and I quote "the ref called it off about 10 to 2 - it should have been called off at 10.30 as the pitch is like a bogg in places and was never going to dry out" un-quote.

This is just a joke and shows that Clubs do not care about supporters travelling and wasting hard earned money on petrol etc.

Why cant the League introduce a rule that games MUST be agreed as on or off by 12.00noon. If declared on at 12 they must be played ( obviously, subject to heavy rain etc after 12 )

At Leyton and today the sun was shinning leading up to kickoff time.

I think this is now 4 games that supporters have travelled to thinking the game was on - only for it to be called off around 2.00pm.

I can only let people know when games are called off if I have a mobile number for them, if you or any one else wants to be on "My List" then let me have contact details.

drinkies

Many thanks,

That will be great. I will let you have my number on Wednesday.

However, my comments were of course nothing to do with ETFC organizors, but the Clubs that will not make positive decisions prior to mid-day.

I believe the League should look into this subject.

Obviously there will be exceptions when there is a downpour just before kick-off, but this season we have suffered with cancellations that could have been easily predicted earlier than 2.00pm.

Rant over. drinkies

Redbridge was not playable and as there had been no rain since it was passed fit in the morning I doubt if it was playable then.

Witham may have been playable but I did not see all of it. It certainly would not have finished.

Nobody could have predicted whether Leyton would have played as rain was continuous.

I consider that late postponements are part of the nature of football. I would be more annoyed if a game is called of early but could have been played because of late drying conditions and better weather.

I think in our league with the furthest distance being travelled only an hour and half away from Enfield nobody has their weekend/evening ruined if a game is called off. We went to Redbridge on Saturday but was able to get back to Brimsdown within 30 mins of their kick off. However taking a leaf out of a former poster to these threads waited until half time before we walked in for nothing.

Originally Posted By: Steph
Redbridge was not playable and as there had been no rain since it was passed fit in the morning I doubt if it was playable then.

Nobody could have predicted whether Leyton would have played as rain was continuous.

Did you see the Redbridge pitch Steph? I did and for me Redbridge was playable with a groundsman getting of his fat [****!!****] with a fork and some sand. One patch albeit large need some attention (and will do for the rest of the season).

What day are you referring to Leyton? On the Saturday Leyton was frozen solid and as I stood on it it was rock hard in the shadows of the stands. If they did not have stands then the sun would have got to the whole pitch and made it playable.

You are correct about Leyton - my mistake. However as it was a frozen pitch that can clear within an hour.

As for Redbridge the goal mouth was a quagmire. I do agree a groundsman could have got it playable however it was not playable in the morning and, if no work was intended to be done, it would not have been playable by 3:00 pm.

Originally Posted By: Steph
I consider that late postponements are part of the nature of football. I would be more annoyed if a game is called of early but could have been played because of late drying conditions and better weather.

I think in our league with the furthest distance being travelled only an hour and half away from Enfield nobody has their weekend/evening ruined if a game is called off. We went to Redbridge on Saturday but was able to get back to Brimsdown within 30 mins of their kick off. However taking a leaf out of a former poster to these threads waited until half time before we walked in for nothing.

You assume too much !

Not all Town supporters live in Enfield or even within 30 min drive.

I travel 40 miles each way for a HOME game, and I am not the only one.

Redbridge knew the pitch would not dry out at 10.30 unless they worked on it.
The game COULD and therefore SHOULD have been called off THEN, as quoted by their own man. See first post !!