Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Hat-trick Teaser

I know that one - Oxford City v Alvechurch some timne in the early seventies, maybe 1971. Alvechurch reached the 1st Round proper after winning the sixth match 1-0. Tie lasted something like 650 or 660 minutes

Well done KP!

Answer: 1971 saw the longest tie in Cup history. Oxford City and Alvechurch play 6 games for a total of 660 minutes. Alvechurch won the final game 1-0 to progress to the first round proper.

How about the team who have played the most FA cup games in one season?

mid seventies again, 13 matches rings a bell, but I couldn't tell you who though

KP - What a hero!

The 1974-75 competition saw the record set for the highest number of games played in one season by one club. Bideford played 13 games over five rounds: one for the 1st qualifying round, two for the 2nd qualifying round, five for the 3rd qualifying round, four for the 4th qualifying round, and one for the 1st round proper. Multiple replays no longer take place, so this record is unlikely to be beaten.

One more from me then,

Can you name the three clubs who have played in nine different round (excluding replays) in a year?

Harlow Town, Blyth Spartans and New Brighton

Last question from Me - Tottenham were the first and only non-league team to win the FA Cup in 1901 but two other non-league clubs (who were also later to become league clubs) have also reached the final. Who were they ?

spot on john. As you say, Sheffield Wednesday as members of the Football Alliance in 1890. Southampton were in the Southern League when they reached the final twice in 1900 and 1902.

true - shirt sponsorship was legalised in 1977. I remember about a year before that there was a bit of fuss made when Kettering had the logo of a tyre company put on the front of their shirts and the league told them to remove it.

First recorded use of sponsorship in sport in England was in 1898 when Bovril used Nottingham Forest to advertise their product but they never advertised on the shirts as the FA would not permit it

Full of useless information me

In a Southern League game against Bath City on 24 January 1976, Kettering became the first British club to play with a sponsor's name printed on their shirts after signing a deal with local firm Kettering Tyres. The deal was brokered by chief executive and manager Derek Dougan. Four days later, The Football Association ordered the club to remove the slogan, but Dougan changed the words on the shirts to "Kettering T", and claimed that the T stood for "Town". Nonetheless, the FA ordered the club to remove the words, which the club did due to the threat of a