Welcome to the new software - Please read! Read more... ×
Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
Alan W (GNFC)

Putting things into perspective ...

The sad news that Marc Vivien Foe died playing for Cameroon in their Confederations Cup match tonight, certainly helps one to remember that, no matter how fervent we may be for our team, and no matter how much we want success, it is only a game after all that & there are far greater things to consider in life.

I'm sure all our supporters will offer their deepest condolences to his family at this sad time.

They havent actually confirmed cause of death yet - apparently he was alive when they took him away from the ground but died in the hospital.

For what its worth, Cameroon still went on to win the game against Colombia 1-0 and will now meet France in the competition final after they beat Turkey 3-2 in the second semi.

Thought the players in that second semi handled things really well, considering they were told the news shortly before kick off - the French players in particular would have had close ties and the goal celebrations and victory celebrations were naturally muted. Turkey could have taken the game to extra time, but thankfully missed a penalty 2 minutes from time.

The competition final is supposed to take place on Sunday, and FIFA have, in my view and that of the Channel 5 commentators, rushed out a statement that the game will take place.

Whilst this is probably the right decision, FIFA should surely have waited until tomorrow before making an announcement, giving them time to consult Foe's family as to their thoughts.(and apparently his wife was at the game with their children so it must have really been awful for them - one minute enjoying the game, then seeing their husband/father collapse and die).

I just hope that FIFA makes some gesture towards his family by donating at least part of the gate money from the game on Sunday, if it goes ahead.

From sunday league to premiership, from cricket to table tennis and from shop worker to lawyer, it just shows that anything can happen at any time, its just so sad to see something like that happen. All my condolences.

Sorry.that was too cryptic.David Longhurst was a player that died on the pitch at York several years ago. As someone said.it puts things into perspective somewhat......