Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

And the nominees are...

(Taken from the Telegraph website)

This year's contenders for the top award in British pop. Jamie Dickson reports

The shortlist for the Panasonic Mercury Music Prize for album of the year has been announced and the contenders make an intriguingly eclectic bunch. The list, which pits chart heavyweights against recent upstarts from rock, rap and jazz, looks set to be a closely-fought contest. Eight of the twelve shortlisted albums are debuts, the highest number since the Prize was first awarded in 1992.

However, with hugely popular acts like Coldplay and Radiohead in the running, the newcomers have their work cut out.

The shortlist in full

Athlete - Vehicles and Animals

Quirky north London band, with a bantering style overlaid with lush harmonies and retro-electronica. Pub knees-up meets ELO.

Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head

With this massive-selling album Coldplay became the undisputed kings of alternative pop. Departing from the introspection of their previous work, Coldplay show their talents on a broader canvas with an album that features stirring, anthemic tracks.

The Darkness - Permission to Land

East Anglian rockers currently riding a wave of popularity. Though much has been made of their references to rock clichés, including screeching falsetto vocals, their work is underpinned by imaginative, exciting songwriting and killer riffs.

Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

Precocious teenage MC with a gift for evoking the sonic landscape of urban life. On Boy In Da Corner, he plays off grinding, anxious beats against a deft lyrical style.

Eliza Carthy - Anglicana

A sombre and affecting entry from the elfin folk revivalist. Threaded through with a dark, austere edge, Anglicana is one of Carthy's most powerful albums to date.

Floetry - Floetic

A London duo who combine sweet, soulful vibes with insightful vocal dexterity. Floetics is their debut album and should prove a strong contender.

Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons

Laid-back lounge music with an undercurrent of eccentricity. A perfect soundtrack for Sunday afternoons, Lost Horizons represents the more relaxed side of this year's nominations.

Martina Topley-Bird - Quixotic

Already feted for her work on Tricky's 1995 debut Maxinquaye, Martina Topley-Bird has softened her tone on this compelling solo work, which shows off her stunning voice to full effect.

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

The latest album from Oxford's finest is an adventurous art-rock excursion that has divided critics. Laden with coarse guitar textures and bold ideas, it has undeniable power and a fine, progressive sensibility.

Soweto Kinch - Conversations with the Unseen

An inventive alto-saxophonist from Birmingham, Soweto Kinch has won plaudits for his blend of bop and smoky swing. In Conversations With the Unseen he articulates the language of post-war jazz with a voice uniquely his own.

Terri Walker - Untitled

A powerful singer, Terri Walker's music is soulful, emotive and uplifting. Though her style is serious and mature, she brings a fresh, easy grace to Urban and R 'n' B styles that has won her much critical acclaim.

The Thrills - So Much for the City

Although the Thrills come from Dublin, their sound comes straight from the surf scene that flourished on America's west coast in the Seventies. Shot through with sunlight and humour, So Much for the City is a dreamy paean to that era.

So, who do you think is going to win then? In fact, does anyone really care anymore?

I would be quite happy for Athlete, The Darkness, or Radiohead to win (and I'm sure some of the others I haven't heard are good too).Zeal - I don't think its as unrepresentative as it could have been although I can't see why Coldplay are included, I thought it was supposed to champion new and original music?

Apparently the judges get a delivery of around 200 CD's and are supposed to listen to them all before making their decision. I think thats why you often get the couple no-ones heard of. And I suspect officionados of jazz, or whichever other genre the unheard of ones come from, would probably claim that they haven't heard of most of the others. Anyway, its not just supposed to be about whats popular at the moment.