Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Do any of you other SML clubs struggle for volunteers or commitee members?

Just wondering so thought i would ask the question? Also on the money side of things do you struggle to exist bearing in mind the climate?

Thanks for answering its my first topic just wanted to get a feel for how other clubs survive. I am at Ampthill Town by the way.

Just wondering so thought i would ask the question? Also on the money side of things do you struggle to exist bearing in mind the climate?

Thanks for answering its my first topic just wanted to get a feel for how other clubs survive. I am at Ampthill Town by the way.

First post, and a good one too, and no replies, unless someone is d**king someone on here then everyone jumps on the bandwagon, start a decent topic and everyone is lost for words.

So will answer you, Padbury United, ground share at Buckingham Town, apparently paying over the odds but not a problem as we have the resources, successful buisnessman in a Chairman who is as enthuiastic for success as our Manager.

Small comittee, but very willing helpers, someone once said to me if you join Padbury it's very hard to leave as you are well looked after, my lad joined this season and that statement I should add was rock solid.

We are a division 2 side and look at the calibre of players we have at the club, that in itself tells a lot.

Thanks Ref Off.

I know all about Padbury bearing in mind you are not a million miles away, i am surprised you are not in Division 1 already having seen you beat us in pre season last year. Wish you all the best anyway!

Thanks Ref Off.

I know all about Padbury bearing in mind you are not a million miles away, i am surprised you are not in Division 1 already having seen you beat us in pre season last year. Wish you all the best anyway!

Would think that most clubs struggle for volunteers and money. Often this is the fault of the Chairman and committee who can be a bit inward looking/dictatorial and unappreciative/suspicious of the efforts of others. Just as worrying to me is the age of active volunteers at clubs. The kids just don't seem interested and all too often are discouraged.

Thanks Ref Off.

Facilities didn't meet the criteria required, however now the club has moved to Buckingham Town then hopefully next season.

Gaffer 247 you normally find that at most clubs it is the same faithful week in week out working hard to enable just the games to be played, I know at Cockfosters that we have those faithfuls and without them I don't know what would happen. Unless you are involved within a club it is easy to.criticise without thinking just how much work is required to get a game going ahead each week. There are alot of club that must be finding it hard financially in the present climate but hopefuly we will not lose any of our grass roots teams in these hard times.

Agree with ref off ref for once a good post and backfour1 is right youngsters just dont seem to be interested in helping out these days but we have one young boy who turns up every week to help with what ever needs doing and at our presentation evening the committee alway make sure he is awarded with something for his efforts.

Gaffer 247 you normally find that at most clubs it is the same faithful week in week out working hard to enable just the games to be played, I know at Cockfosters that we have those faithfuls and without them I don't know what would happen. Unless you are involved within a club it is easy to.criticise without thinking just how much work is required to get a game going ahead each week. There are alot of club that must be finding it hard financially in the present climate but hopefuly we will not lose any of our grass roots teams in these hard times.

Agree with ref off ref for once a good post and backfour1 is right youngsters just dont seem to be interested in helping out these days but we have one young boy who turns up every week to help with what ever needs doing and at our presentation evening the committee alway make sure he is awarded with something for his efforts.

Nice to see your club reward the boy digby for his commitment, however and I have said this before I don't think enough clubs sell themselves in the right way.

They just expect locals to turn up, pay their money and watch a game irrespective, the clubs need to sell themselves, get the local community involved, Royston I know a few years back had a couple of lads hanging about with nothing apparent to do, I believe the Chairman brought them some musical instruments and asked them to set up an atmosphere, good idea and it worked.

I don't have all the answers but the crowds we play in front of at this level is pretty poor, I just believe somehow the clubs need to sell themselves more to the locals, give them a reason to want to come and support your team, and once you have them make sure you keep them, How?.....that's the $64k question.

Edited by ref off ref

I suppose I'm like many other non-league fans. I want to connect with my local club and I appreciate the hundred percent effort the players put in often after a hard day's work and with another one tomorrow. I get more enjoyment out of watching them on a cold wet winter's night with 57 other like-minded fans than a season of televised football. Likewise, I appreciate the hours of unpaid effort the club officials put in to get the games played but (and I'm generalising here...there are obviously exceptions to what follows) those same officials seem unable to connect with the fans who want information as to what's going on at their club.

Many's the time I've turned up at a game to find I don't recognise one or more of the players and no-one else seems to know either....have the reserves played recently and what was the result...that kind of thing. Nothing in the programme of course just "This Day 50 Years Ago" and sundry items about other clubs when we want to know what's happening at our club. Lets have results and stats and don't forget the reserves, they are the future. The PA system, if any, can only be heard within the main stand and isn't used to promote future fixtures, advise of substitute details and who won the draw.

We want to know what's going on at the club..we want to connect..the more involved we are the more loyal we become and the more likely to encourage others to try a game and at the same time enjoy a pie and a pint which like the admission are at working men's prices.

Most towns have a Community Forum which is read by thousands of local people but how many clubs create a thread on that forum with details of upcoming fixtures (first team and reserves), players coming and going, results and stats, links to match reports and photos etc. Its easy, fast and free and will attract responses from local people who've forgotten they have a local club or think that the only football that exists is on the TV.

A bit off-topic perhaps but we should remember that the more supporters, the more volunteers and commitee members will acrue.

Nice to see your club reward the boy digby for his commitment, however and I have said this before I don't think enough clubs sell themselves in the right way.

They just expect locals to turn up, pay their money and watch a game irrespective, the clubs need to sell themselves, get the local community involved, Royston I know a few years back had a couple of lads hanging about with nothing apparent to do, I believe the Chairman brought them some musical instruments and asked them to set up an atmosphere, good idea and it worked.

I don't have all the answers but the crowds we play in front of at this level is pretty poor, I just believe somehow the clubs need to sell themselves more to the locals, give them a reason to want to come and support your team, and once you have them make sure you keep them, How?.....that's the $64k question.

And did those Drums drive me mad....Hated playing there knowing i would have drum's behind my goal for 90mins..........Well funny though

And did those Drums drive me mad....Hated playing there knowing i would have drum's behind my goal for 90mins..........Well funny though

Creates an atmosphere though, which is what it's about I guess