Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cockfosters 1 Bedford Town Reserves 8

As a former follower of Cockfosters I can't help casting my mind back two or three years to when the team played entertaining football under David Craig on their way to promotion to the Premier division before more than holding their own in the top flight in their first season back after so long in the wilderness.

Have to question what the hierarchy at the club are thinking - firstly allowing Craig to leave along with all his players and secondly giving the job to the current imcumbent. No experience at this level. No players. No idea.

Not even in the 'dark days' when the club spent nearly a decade in div 1 did they sink to the current depths.

Potentially great club with big catchment area for players but it truly is depressing to see how much of a joke it has become.

As a former follower of Cockfosters I can't help casting my mind back two or three years to when the team played entertaining football under David Craig on their way to promotion to the Premier division before more than holding their own in the top flight in their first season back after so long in the wilderness.

Have to question what the hierarchy at the club are thinking - firstly allowing Craig to leave along with all his players and secondly giving the job to the current imcumbent. No experience at this level. No players. No idea.

Not even in the 'dark days' when the club spent nearly a decade in div 1 did they sink to the current depths.

Potentially great club with big catchment area for players but it truly is depressing to see how much of a joke it has become.

Shocking!

Its a real shame.........has been a great club in the past.

I know it makes depressing reading for the Chalk Lane faithful such as Reds76 but a report:

Spartan South Midlands League Division 1

Cockfosters 1 Bedford Town Reserves 8

In: £4

Prog: £1 - very good 24 pager with only 6 pages of ads

Coffee: £1

Crowd: 32 (h/c)

In London for a meeting near Kings Cross which finished just after 2pm, and thinking I would easily make Cockfosters. Unfortunately, I hadn't looked to see if Arsenal were at home - it took two tubes before I could get on one, and then it kept stopping between stations so missed the first 10 minutes. After rural Cornwall last Saturday, I was expecting something different, but Cockfosters is very leafy. Couple of minutes from the tube, the ground has a cricket ground at one end, bowling green one side and the main road the other. Although its a bit cramped, a nice little ground with the clubhouse - changing, bar (TV on GP qualifying), kitchen, etc - and two fairly small bits of cover including a few seats and a couple of tiered benches on one side. This side is very narrow so it won't accomodate many. Three sides are railed, the clubhouse side and one end have hard standing, and the two dug outs are opposite on the main road side.

The guy on the gate told me Cockfosters were 1-0 up. The game looked fairly even with both sides boasting quick forwards, but then five minutes after I arrived, Cockfosters lost their captain and centre back after an innocuous coming together when he was shepherding the ball out for a goal kick. Before they had put a sub on, they appeared to have failed to reorganise properly and got caught by a quick break, giving away a penalty which was converted. Appearances can be misleading - even with a sub on and a midfielder unwillingly back at centre back - their defence were awful. They got caught time after time, and goals came at regular intervals. It was 1-4 at half time and the second half saw no improvement. To be fair, Cockfosters also looked positive in attack with defenders struggling to keep them out, but their forwards missed a hatful of chances. The game saw some crunching tackles, a few niggly fouls, a good bout of handbags late in the first half and constant moaning to the officials. To be fair to the players, the ref was inconsistent and generally pretty useless. I was thinking I hadn't seen 8 from an away team before, but then I remembered Hammers losing 0-8 to VT once - best forgotten. Hopefully Cockfosters will also live to fight another day!

Reds 76 you mean as a former player for David Craig (who was told to leave by new the Management that took over) not as a former follower of Cockfosters, the team did not play entertaining football & didnt play entertaining football in the last couple of seasons that you were there, they NEVER held there own in the Prem (unfortunately end of season placings dont lie), yes David Craig did get promotion (in a season that was not a strong league and with reserve players from the Management that took over scoring vital goals to get promotion), its a shame that Craigie had to leave but one of the reasons given for him leaving was that he could not stand some of the players attitudes!!!!!!, the gate entrance has gone up considerably more than when you were playing at the Lane, you have not been at the Lane for several seasons since you was asked to leave!!!!!!! Also the last season that you played at the Lane your team were in relegtion position when the new Management took over, losing each week and not even being able to compete week after week!!!! You do not know what is going on here at the moment, the club is financially better off than ever and has a very positive attitude, the team has had the best FA Cup run & FA Vase run ever in the last couple of season helping out greatly with the financies of the club, there are unfortunately lots of injuries at the present time and the Management have had to play players that would not normally be even on the bench (a bit like yourself). Obviously you really need to get a life and stop with the stabbing in the back of the present Management that took over, you haven't got a clue!!!!!! If you have a problem please come to the Lane, I am sure the current Management & current players would be really pleased to see you and would love to discuss any concerns you may have!!!!! This game was just one of those games that players were just not good enough for 1st team football, I am sure you have played in quite a few games like this.!!!!

Big catchment area yes but we do not pay players unlike others in our area, the club nor present Management didnt want Cragie to go but as you know he gave his reasons, the club was moaning week after week about most of the players that were playing at the time and was not at all bothered when they went!!!! The players that the club wanted to retain still play at The Lane.

Digby - I didn't say it was shocking, it was Monkeymonkey8 who said that. I'm Cockfosters biggest fan for the professional way they go about their business and was even offered a Committee position at the Club at the end of last season by Peter Bailey

I know you follow what happens at The Lane

Well that's an understatement, I just hope Cockfosters don't slip up tomorrow evening at Coles Park as that really would be embarrassing wouldn't it and heads could roll

Digby - I didn't say it was shocking, it was Monkeymonkey8 who said that. I'm Cockfosters biggest fan for the professional way they go about their business and was even offered a Committee position at the Club at the end of last season by Peter Bailey

Grass!!

That's about 200 clubs you're now the biggest fan of, trouble is 201 of them don't want to be associated with you cheesy%20(2).gif

Reds 76 you mean as a former player for David Craig (who was told to leave by new the Management that took over) not as a former follower of Cockfosters, the team did not play entertaining football & didnt play entertaining football in the last couple of seasons that you were there, they NEVER held there own in the Prem (unfortunately end of season placings dont lie), yes David Craig did get promotion (in a season that was not a strong league and with reserve players from the Management that took over scoring vital goals to get promotion), its a shame that Craigie had to leave but one of the reasons given for him leaving was that he could not stand some of the players attitudes!!!!!!, the gate entrance has gone up considerably more than when you were playing at the Lane, you have not been at the Lane for several seasons since you was asked to leave!!!!!!! Also the last season that you played at the Lane your team were in relegtion position when the new Management took over, losing each week and not even being able to compete week after week!!!! You do not know what is going on here at the moment, the club is financially better off than ever and has a very positive attitude, the team has had the best FA Cup run & FA Vase run ever in the last couple of season helping out greatly with the financies of the club, there are unfortunately lots of injuries at the present time and the Management have had to play players that would not normally be even on the bench (a bit like yourself). Obviously you really need to get a life and stop with the stabbing in the back of the present Management that took over, you haven't got a clue!!!!!! If you have a problem please come to the Lane, I am sure the current Management & current players would be really pleased to see you and would love to discuss any concerns you may have!!!!! This game was just one of those games that players were just not good enough for 1st team football, I am sure you have played in quite a few games like this.!!!!

Big catchment area yes but we do not pay players unlike others in our area, the club nor present Management didnt want Cragie to go but as you know he gave his reasons, the club was moaning week after week about most of the players that were playing at the time and was not at all bothered when they went!!!! The players that the club wanted to retain still play at The Lane.

Sorry digby - didn't intend to touch a nerve.

Just a couple of points to pick up on as my final word on this:

* Slightly puzzled how Cockfosters could win 22 games out of 30 on the way to promotion for the first time in nearly 10 years and not play any entertaining football in the process.

* I would argue finishing 18 points clear of relegation, winning the South Midlands Floodlit Cup and local cup (which included Ryman league Potters Bar Town and Colney Heath) counts as the team holding its own in their first season in the Prem for many years - I'll leave others to make up their minds on that though.

Seems like we disagree on some key football (not personal I hope) issues and apologies if it wasn't something you wanted to hear but it's virtually impossible to hide from facts (check football mitoo).

On a positive note, great to hear the finances of the club are healthy. Let's hope the money is invested wisely.

Finally, I've never been associated with an 8-1 defeat at home to a reserve team and it gives me no pleasure at all to think of a Cockfosters team losing in this way. Unfortunately the impression I get is that mediocrity is an accepted part of life down the lane these days.

Sorry digby - didn't intend to touch a nerve.

Just a couple of points to pick up on as my final word on this:

* Slightly puzzled how Cockfosters could win 22 games out of 30 on the way to promotion for the first time in nearly 10 years and not play any entertaining football in the process.

* I would argue finishing 18 points clear of relegation, winning the South Midlands Floodlit Cup and local cup (which included Ryman league Potters Bar Town and Colney Heath) counts as the team holding its own in their first season in the Prem for many years - I'll leave others to make up their minds on that though.

Seems like we disagree on some key football (not personal I hope) issues and apologies if it wasn't something you wanted to hear but it's virtually impossible to hide from facts (check football mitoo).

On a positive note, great to hear the finances of the club are healthy. Let's hope the money is invested wisely.

Finally, I've never been associated with an 8-1 defeat at home to a reserve team and it gives me no pleasure at all to think of a Cockfosters team losing in this way. Unfortunately the impression I get is that mediocrity is an accepted part of life down the lane these days.

Like I said done well to get promoted with the help of Ressie player who scored 5 goals in last 7 games of the season being the only goal scorer in 2 crucial games, good year for Fosters as Ressies also get promotion to top flight for their division, everyone at the Lane was happy

18 points off relegation in first season of prem sounds good but finishing 17th winning only 11 games out of 42 and losing 22 games with some score lines including

4-0 x 4, 5-1, 7-3 & oh no 7-0 with 9 draws , goals against 92 (sorry was you a defender), doesn't sound too brilliant but well done!

2nd season in Prem with some scoreslines including 6-2, 5-2, 5-0 x 2 and oh no 7-1

Youve never been involved in scorelines of 8-1 just some other big scorelines with a full team of 1st team players! Guess you didn't mind losing to big scorelines when you was playing sorry attending then!

Won a cup that NO final was played, well done! you must be proud to have your medal on show !

On a positive note the club had a great clear out of past sell by date players, we go forward, win or lose, we stand pround and together!!!

Funny old thing footie, all based on opinions, and league positions at the end of a season

Sorry your still sour but you must move on The Lane has!

Glad we have such great followers like you!

Happy Following

Slightly puzzled how Cockfosters could win 22 games out of 30 on the way to promotion for the first time in nearly 10 years and not play any entertaining football in the process.

Reds76 - Do you mind if I interject here and say that Cockfosters were the most workmanlike side I have ever seen in that 2006/2007 campaign, there were no frills whatsoever but you have to hand it to David Craig for the way they played under him and his Stuart Pearce, Martin O'Neill and Neil Warnock all rolled into one touchline demeanor

Slightly puzzled how Cockfosters could win 22 games out of 30 on the way to promotion for the first time in nearly 10 years and not play any entertaining football in the process.

Reds76 - Do you mind if I interject here and say that Cockfosters were the most workmanlike side I have ever seen in that 2006/2007 campaign, there were no frills whatsoever but you have to hand it to David Craig for the way they played under him and his Stuart Pearce, Martin O'Neill and Neil Warnock all rolled into one touchline demeanor

In other words 'do you mind if I stick my oar in again here'

Ref Off Ref - Was your lad already plying his trade for New Bradwell St Peter in 2006/2007, from memory Cockfosters won 1-0 at the Recreation Ground that season and 3-0 at Chalk Lane which rather proves my point about them being a workmanlike outfit under David Craig doesn't it

Ref Off Ref - Was your lad already plying his trade for New Bradwell St Peter in 2006/2007, from memory Cockfosters won 1-0 at the Recreation Ground that season and 3-0 at Chalk Lane which rather proves my point about them being a workmanlike outfit under David Craig doesn't it

From memory.....don't you mean you had a quick flick back on mitto to check them results.

The only point proved here Rhodes is.....you poked your oar in haha

Ref Off Ref - You seem to have forgetten that Kentish Town were going neck and neck with Brimsdown Rovers and Cockfosters for promotion throughout the 2006/2007 season so it only seems like yesterday, you probably don't even remember who Padbury United played last week as you are only into football for the sake of your son aren't you, similar to Keeps

hardly... i played under him at broxbourne and cockfosters done a terrific job at both.. but would not put him with the likes of them just yet cheesy%20(2).gif

Edited by football06

Football06 - I'm talking about Craig's antics on the touchline which make Martin O'Neill for example seem like Special1 who, as we all know, stands absolutely statuesque in front of the dug out watching Sport London e Benfica

Ref Off Ref - You seem to have forgetten that Kentish Town were going neck and neck with Brimsdown Rovers and Cockfosters for promotion throughout the 2006/2007 season so it only seems like yesterday, you probably don't even remember who Padbury United played last week as you are only into football for the sake of your son aren't you, similar to Keeps

Give me some credit Rhodes, Padbury played MK Wanderers last week....didn't they?

:stupid: