Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

DIV 2 Promotion - DIV 1 Relegation

From Div 1 - Stony appear doomed and so do Amersham, who will finally get what they have deserved for years after Welwyn win their game at Stony in a couple of weeks.

I am assuming that both these clubs will not be "reprieved" as three of the top 4 (Padbury ground sharing, Winslow and Risborough (when lights are installed) ) are ready to take their place?

If Totternhoe finish 2nd will this upset the apple cart?

and where do Letchworth fit in?

Letchworth ? As in Garden City Eagles for the Herts County League ? They don't have the facilities to go up do they ?

Yes - GCE.

Indeed - their website indicates that they have applied for promotion too. And joining SSML Div 2 would not be classed as a promotion would it?

http://www.letchwortheagles.org.uk/teams/seniors/seniors.asp

"Following the success of the first team in the first part of the season, finishing the year at the top of the Premier Division of the Herts Senior County League, the club has made a formal application to join the Spartan South Midland League next season. If the team stays in first place in the league table at the end of this season the application will be accepted, subject to the club meeting the requirements of the league in terms of its playing facilities.

Tony Eden"

They are currently playing at Step 7 and have applied for promotion if they qualify. Moving to SSML Div 2 (Step 7 also) would not be a promotion whereas moving to SSML Div 1 (Step 6) would be.

The question is whether their ground has the facilities to qualify for playing in Step 6 - which I don't know as I've never visited.

Edited by Loose

They have applied to join the ssml league it quite clearly says. Nothing about promotion. It quite clearly says!

Fair enough - you are right, it doesn't. But it does add at the end of their statement that:-

"subject to the club meeting the requirements of the league in terms of its playing facilities. "

So, playing at Step 7 currently should suggest that they meet those requirements which the County Leagues at direction of the County and National FA's have been ensuring so "meeting the requirements" could mean that they are looking to improve them. Perhaps it all needs clarifying.

They have applied to join the ssml league it quite clearly says. Nothing about promotion. It quite clearly says!

Fair enough - you are right, it doesn't. But it does add at the end of their statement that:-

"subject to the club meeting the requirements of the league in terms of its playing facilities. "

So, playing at Step 7 currently should suggest that they meet those requirements which the County Leagues at direction of the County and National FA's have been ensuring so "meeting the requirements" could mean that they are looking to improve them. Perhaps it all needs clarifying.

Let me clarify it for you all. Clubs in the Herts County League may apply for promotion to the SSML Div 1 if they finish as champions, and IF THEY HAVE Step 6 facilities. Last year London Lions did this, groundsharing at Broxbourne Borough. Even though they never played at Broxbourne during their Championship season, they did play at St Albans City (Step 2). Letchworth Garden City were hoping to get their ground up to standard. They have come a very long way, very quickly. They have tried to keep up with the progress of the team by improving their very basic facilities, but, although they look like winning the League, they are now too late to get their ground up to standard, even if they could afford to. They would not now be allowed to switch grounds in order to gain promotion.

The situation is further complicated by the fact that, if the Champions don't go up, second place may do so.

Several other clubs have also applied for promotion, including a couple who could meet the ground grading requirements, and could finish in the top 2 - so watch this space!!

Thanks Horace. Can you tell us what would happen if Letchworth still finish in 1st place? Would the next top 2 be considered for promotion to Div 1 in the SSML? Also, how many county Leagues does the SSML have to consider, I know that in the past the SSML have considered and accepted Beds League clubs too, so how many places are going to be available, how many for finishes below 1st in their leagues and what other options would be open to those clubs that will be disappointed?

Edited by Loose

Never a problem when you are having a decent discussion on here for a change and I obviously am interested in the intricacies and don't know the answers.

Thanks Horace. Can you tell us what would happen if Letchworth still finish in 1st place? Would the next top 2 be considered for promotion to Div 1 in the SSML? Also, how many county Leagues does the SSML have to consider, I know that in the past the SSML have considered and accepted Beds League clubs too, so how many places are going to be available, how many for finishes below 1st in their leagues and what other options would be open to those clubs that will be disappointed?

My interpretation of what Horace says, Loose, is that you would need to finish in the Top 2 to be considered for promotion.

So you might have the right ground facilities, but if there are 2 teams above you in the League then, even if they aren't applying for promotion, you would not be considered.

though I assume there occasionally might be a little flexibility in this....

As stated in my post "The situation is further complicated by the fact that, if the Champions don't go up, second place may do so" .

There isn't a specific place reserved for a Herts County League promotee, nor is there one for the other linked leagues,( the Middlesex County and the Bedfordshire County League). The SSML just have to juggle their numbers when they get a "bonus" promotee from another league (as dear old Uncle Urchin pointed out when he was blowing the trumpet for Southill Alexander, the SSML consitution allows for a lot more clubs than they have at present!).

I'm not privy to the rules of either of the other leagues, but the Herts Senior County rules permit the second places club to apply for promotion if the Champions do not apply. This has been more loosely applied by the FA in the past so as to permit a second place club to go up where the Champions have applied but failed because of ground grading.

There is not much chance of more than the odd promotee anyway, because the ever increasing pillage of the lower leagues in order to fill the vacant places in the higher levels of the pyramid caused by the demise of clubs who have overstretched themselves in the mindless drive to get to the top is taking all the best clubs! Clubs get sucked up but rarely do any come back down to Step 7. This is not helped by the fact that so many "new" clubs are allowed to start higher up the pyramid. The supply of suitable, viable, clubs to replace losses at Step 7 and below is getting less and less, and will lead pretty soon to Leagues folding. Protectionism by the likes of the Ryman and Zamoretto Leagues is condoned by the FA, where I have heard only one lone voice arguing that they should absorb some of their own losses rather than keep nicking lower league's clubs as replacements . Fair promotion for winning a league is one thing, not relegating a replacement is another.

Rant over.

Looks like you will only have buckingham ath and bradwell at the moment then you can pop over the border and play us in bedfordshire cranfield,ampthill and bedford dont forget to bring your passport you need one to get into our village now lol

it will be good for steve to go to his old club as well and maybe a couple of there players from last year