Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island 0 - 2 Concord Rangers

Matt H

As a derby game I was a bit disappointed at how dull the second half was, with neither team creating any real clear cut chances. I don't recall Rusty being forced into a save and the same can be said for Young in the Concord goal. Not to say there wasn't plenty of action in each penalty area but both defences were pretty clued up, (how many times did Westy deliver a ball into the box only for our forwards to be too slow to connect to the ball?)

Saying that, the first half I thought we played really well and had it not been for Young we could well have been two up ourselves before suffering a wonder strike against the run of play. Their second goal was a good counter attack after we lost possession on the edge of their penalty area. A few good passes and a free header later and we're stunned to be trailing by two goals.

Unfortunately as we've all said, possession counts for nothing unless you put the ball in the back of the net. All ifs and buts, but had we had Gameo and Rhodes I think we might have been a bit more successful in front of goal.

If I recall Woods-Garness was Sutton Utd's top scorer last season when they won the championship, so when we start playing him as a Striker I think we'll start getting results. You could see the experience in his gameplay, that he knows how to attack the goal.

Onwards to New Year's Eve and another good performance against the Urchins.

I was very surprised to see Woods-Garness playing for us yesterday, as I didn't even know we had signed him. I remember seeing him play for Billericay a few years back, he was good then too. I must say I thought he played really well yesterday. A big well done to the management for bringing him in, as he will be an asset to the Canvey team. It won't be long before we go on a winning run!

Onwards to the Hornchurch game on New Years Eve! COME ON YOU GULLS!!! :D

BWG will be a great acquisition for you guys, got plenty of goals in him, works hard, and has got an abundance of talent. Really nice lad as well. As Matt H said, best employed as a striker though, or on the right of a front 3.

The game all in all was a bit scrappy, 2nd half especially there was lots of huff and puff without many real clear-cut chances. Youngy saved us on numerous occasions in the 1st half; if he wasn't on top from it could well have been very different.

Disappointed not to see more people through the gate though, although nigh on 800 is still very respectable. Now we (both clubs) need to work out how to add these derby day supporters to our regular gates!

Hopefully the return game chucks up a better footballing spectacle for the paying public, and both clubs still have something to play for come Easter-time.