Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

MFC 1 Harrow Borough 0

Wellsie

Stats, match headlines, commentary highligths and reaction from CK and Dean Hill all available now on www.margate-fc.com.

Full match report follows.

Really good stuff from the interview with DH i thought.

Particularly interesting that he singles out saturdays draw with leatherhead as a good result and that the players were particularly pleased-agree with him-grinding out a 0-0 and giving you a platform to go forward is a professional way of doing things.

How many times previously would we have lost such a game .

its about getting points-not pretty stuff.

Really good stuff from the interview with DH i thought.

Particularly interesting that he singles out saturdays draw with leatherhead as a good result and that the players were particularly pleased-agree with him-grinding out a 0-0 and giving you a platform to go forward is a professional way of doing things.

How many times previously would we have lost such a game .

its about getting points-not pretty stuff.

Quite right its all about points, now I 'm going to sound a little controvertal, I thought the game as a whole was abysmal, not the players fault as I suspect they were doing as they are told, the first half was really bad, up in the air, hopeful long balls no cohesion, awful. Against a stronger team we would have been stuffed. We have good players who can pass the ball and play decent football, I wish CK would play the game to their strengths. By the way Stubbs played as well as anyone, much better out wide.

Well said Derek. And unfortunately whatever platitudes are rolled out post match, the frustration in the 'ball players' is evident. Would be surprised if guys like wilson, bodkin, burchell, beales et al, are not already having a peek around for sides who play it on the deck for next season. Harsh but inevitable. ( Unless Jake takes the reins).

Every manager has players they like and those they don't for numerous reasons including character as much as skill. There was no shortage of cmmitment out there last night and the second half was a definite improvement on the previous two saturdays and they were an improvement on the previous fixtures. Personally I thought that there were positive signs after losing the best player in the league. The negativity of some is staggering but they pay their money so are entitled to an opinion.

It was back to hoofing it last night - Matt Bodkin tried to play football and Tommy Murphy had a real go - I thought he was MOM - the rest just walloped it upwards. Wade needs to have his strengths analysed and played to - has same build and pace as Appiah so it's pretty obvious the ball needs to be either played on the ground or flicked on at lower level not in the air with a 6 ft plus defender there to gobble it up. Crowd 192 ? Was that a reflection of the dismal performance on Saturday ? Best performance was probably by the choir who were on good form with the drum back as well

We hadn't won for nine games and had a number of regular starters missing. Three points and a clean sheet is all anyone could realistically have asked for.

And there's nothing wrong with hoofing - it served us well when CK was with us before. And it hasn't done Billericay any harm this season. As for the crowd, midweek crowds are abysmal across the board in this league. Football on telly, people not having much money, etc. Personally, I think the league should not schedule back to back home games (Saturday, Tuesday) because many people's pockets aren't deep enough to do two home games in a three or four days.

This is the ryman league for heaven sake-as CE says-hoofing is good.

Everyone seems to forget that there are 10 opposition players stopping you making nice passes along the ground.

Apart from maybe 2/3 sides at the very peak-everyone 'hoofs it'-you have to ,to get it past the opponent alot of the time.

i assume those complaining all played football at some level -and displayed all these silky skills and never 'hoofed' it

read any forum from ryman to league 1-all supporters say the same thing-play it along the ground.

Billericay are top of the league-they hoof it-they just hoof it a bit more effectively and make fewer mistakes at the back.

i assume most would still complain if we were top of the league and played like Billericay

people are brought up on premiership and european football-and somehow expect part time players to have nice silky skills-get real

This is the ryman league for heaven sake-as CE says-hoofing is good.

Everyone seems to forget that there are 10 opposition players stopping you making nice passes along the ground.

Apart from maybe 2/3 sides at the very peak-everyone 'hoofs it'-you have to ,to get it past the opponent alot of the time.

i assume those complaining all played football at some level -and displayed all these silky skills and never 'hoofed' it

read any forum from ryman to league 1-all supporters say the same thing-play it along the ground.

Billericay are top of the league-they hoof it-they just hoof it a bit more effectively and make fewer mistakes at the back.

i assume most would still complain if we were top of the league and played like Billericay

people are brought up on premiership and european football-and somehow expect part time players to have nice silky skills-get real

We have played football on the ground occasinally this season and won, but the way we played the other night had no purpose and very nearly no result, also CK won the league before with money behind him now Ithink it may be a little different. The choir were brill especially the rendition of silent night. By the way I have been bought up a Margate fan and non - league as a whole not on prima donnas of higher grade ex football.

Has anyone else noticed how if a long ball forward is picked up by the attacking player it's NOT a "hoof"? And that relies on the player kicking the ball into the right area along way forward, a forward being in the right sort of area to pick it up and a defender not being their to intercept. As soon as one of those things doesn't drop into place, then it's a "hoof".

During our rise up the leagues 10 years ago, we used the slope on the pitch to our big advantage too. A long ball into the top right corner would hold up on the slope, but you'd see a shorter ball to the bottom end which would run away down the slope. So perhaps that style of play is easier to counter now because it's literally a more level playing field.

But the big thing here is that there is not a great deal to choose between the teams in the dvision and tatcis empoyed this season - particularly by away teams - make it realtively harder to get positive home results. Just take a look at the detail stats. Half the teams in the league half won more pointts away than at home and / or have taken a higher proportion of potential away points than home. And at one time that was true of 14 teams in the division!

There were without doubt periods of scrappy play in Tuesday's match, but I thoughht there were plenty of positives from a side missing 4 first choice / experienced players.

Here is a fairly balance report on tuedays game as seen via Harrow eyes.

compliments the fact trhat game played in 'good spirit' (maybe we can win the respect league if nothing else ).

Also says margate deserved the win !!

A refreshing change to get away from moaning whinging reports that most visiting sides give.

http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/forum.jsp?id=181&article=4319

There's hoofing and well intended long maybe high balls, often they don't come off - there's a difference regardless of which league. A long ball forward and a bit of skilful play undid Man Utd last night. Just banging it anywhere is hoofing and that is what I refer to and what I keep seeing. There was an old looking defender with Tooting & Mitcham who now seems to have become a Met Policeman who was good at hoofing it to his own men when they walloped us a few weeks ago. . I still maintain that running the wings with attempts ,sometimes sucessful sometimes not, to put in a decent cross that is either flicked down for people like Wade to get on to or Bradbrook/Avery to have a header at is what I would like to see. We have the players as Murphy is proving and I think Richard Avery is coming on great at getting into positions around the D. Cannot understand why Adam B is not on from the start or certainly a bit earlier than just before the end as he is a player of some skills. As someone says above - am entitled to my opinion.