Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Carlton Town Hit By Raiders

From The Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Website:

Carlton Town chairman Mick Garton admits he felt like quitting after thieves and vandals ransacked the Evo-Stik NPL First Division South club's Bill Stokeld Stadium on Saturday.

The devasted Millers say damage during the raid at the ground was so extensive they’ve been forced to close their sports bar until tomorrow [Wednesday] when they are due to play Evo-Stik NPL Premier Division Worksop Town. Gate receipts from their friendly with Gainsborough Trinity were stolen along with hundreds of pounds worth of stock.

Police are now investigating the raid during the early hours of Saturday morning which came just a few months after a fire at the ground also caused extensive damage.

Chairman Garton insists he would have walked away after the latest blow but for the support of club officials, players, management and fans including personal messages of support from Millers captain Ashley Kitchen and manager Les McJannet.

He said: "I seriously thought about calling it a day on Saturday morning when I saw the destruction but with the help of many others, we all put in 12 hour shifts and got the place straight and cleaned up. We moved out the damaged equipment we could and we’ll reopen on Wednesday when the repair contractors have done their job.

"The support has been brilliant. The club captain sent me a nice message on Saturday evening, the manager has been on the phone with his support as have sponsors, supporters and the committee with offers of help.

"I just have to take on board we have some good people down here. The downside is our insurance excess is over £1,000 given our location so whatever the insurance outcome we will take a big hit."

The chairman also revealed that their club charity box was among the missing items and hopes the police can quickly catch the culprits with the help of local community.

"I suppose we have to accept that is the kind of society we now live in and this kind of thing is par for the course but I just hope the police can catch these people," he added.

"It hurts as we are a not for profit club. I along with others put a lot of time and money into this community facility and it rips at your heart when someone does what’s been done here."

Absolute scum! I hope the police find out who's responsible for this and make them repay Carlton Town in full.

Archived