Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Grays Ath - Ashford Town (Middx)

ChrisJones

The following link shows almost an hour's worth of the 1-1 draw on Saturday, courtesy of my brother, long-time supporter of our hosts on that day.

Game was a bit scrappy and frustrating, but i thought we battled and deserved the draw.

The ref was decent other than the "nailed on" red card at 53.58. Mr C, perhaps you would like to have a re think? :D

Nice people at Grays and a warm welcome...... excellent burgers!!

I look forward to Tuesday night

Dan -

I'm looking forward to Tuesday as well. Interesting you found a warm welcome, and good to hear. Ironically, on their own forum there are various comments about the downward change in atmosphere since they moved from the Recreation Ground in Grays to their current home near Romford.

Bet they will be enthraled by those lovely grey fuel tanks!

Best of luck in the replay, lads. I'm afraid I won't be there, as my dad goes in for a second operation on his bladder cancer tomorrow.

Shocked that last season's award winner has gone! Was it expected at all? I assume Chipstead's easier for Ashley to commute to.

Could now be the time to stick Ed in midfield and fill his gap at the back?

Keith,

Hospitality in the Boardroom was very welcoming and the fans were good for a bit of friendly banter

I hear that when Gold and Sullivan took West Ham off of the icelandics they didnt even know that they owened the Grays Athletic site!

I am going to check with Mr Parker in case he has forgotten that we own Ashford sports ground! lol

Not a great game but we stuck at it and a draw was probably the fairest result. Our best period was the opening fifteen minutes, Suspect it will be entirely different in terms of atmosphere under the lights on Tuesday.

Grays' goal from a free kick was a long way out and while the ball seemed to take an odd trajectory, I suspect Macca will be disappointed he didn't save it. Our goal came from a long throw in from Russell and one member of the travelling support (who sells raffle tickets at home games) wanted to know why we don't use that weapon more frequently. In fact he asked the same question a further three hundred times on the way home, so can we please use it more often on Tuesday Mr. Manager.

Two cautions for us, for Russell and Scott: both for fouls (we have still to incur a caution for dissent this season), neither of which looked in any great dispute. Referee was excellent although he might have taken stronger action near the end when a Grays defender jumped in with both feet at Joe, whose failure to react possibly saved his opponent. From my angle it didn't look that bad but certainly watching the film, from a different angle, it looks worse and maybe he was fortunate to get away with only a yellow. There were no other bad fouls whatsoever.

Grays very friendly on our first ever visit and looking forward to hosting them on Tuesday. Pitch looked fine but spectators were some way from the action which may have contributed to the apparent lack of atmosphere. It must be galling for Grays to only attract 122 to the match when as a club they have previously won the Trophy and come close to getting intot he Football League. We weren't able to help too much with only a few supporters present but we had a fairly strong committee presence.

Our Man of the match - for me, Russell Canderton, especially after one or two dodgy moments in recent games. Perry finally got his chance following Ashley's defection and did nothing to harm his chance of a regular place in my humble view.

No, you misunderstand my comment, footyfan,

Ed (swifty), suggested that Ed (thomas) could move into Midfield.

I meant there is no need for that. Perry will do a great job there. Ed Thomas is doing brilliantly where he is...in my opinion.

I think young Mr. Thomas is doing an excellent job at the back, but a little bird tells me he'd be happier in midfield taking on Ashley's role, and my own personal opinion is that he could be a great attacking midfielder in the mould of Johnno.

I don't quite understand Footyfan's worries, though I am getting on a bit, but I appreciate the support - (s)he should make themselves known some time and cadge a drink off me. I don't remember seeing or hearing any comments that any player currently or very previously on our books wasn't needed. The fact Ashley's move is seen as a defection suggests it was unexpected and unwanted. No matter - we have enough young lions (and a few old ones like Russell Delap-Canderton) to fill in the gaps with ease.

Thanks to Alan and everyone else for the well wishes. I'm having to clench my jaw to stop crying in the office having read your kind message.

Very nice to call me number one supporter as well, but I'm sure that others who go to each (or nearly every) game deserve the mantle more. In terms of noise, though, I'll gladly keep my place on top of the podium! :D

Eddie -

so sorry to hear about your Dad. We wish you and your Family all the very best. You are clearly our Number 1 fan.

Keith & Liam

Archived