Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

City 2 Ash Trees 3

Swifty

Triumph in the face of adversity and, dare I say it, biased officials.

The lads took the game to City early on and bossed the first 20 minutes or so, deservedly taking a 16th minute lead when Dan headed home a fine corner from Bitz. Weighty came so close to doubling the lead soon after but he hit the post. City weren't out of the game but were given huge encouragement by an appalling ref and 'lino' on the stand side. Both City's goals came from very questionable free kicks, The first in the 27th came when their giant number 10 went down like Bambi looking for a free kick and the officials fell for it, and none of us in the away contingent could work out what infringement the ref saw for the second free kick in the 51st. The second disappointing thing about the goals was that they resulted from unmarked headers. That needs to be worked on and quickly.

As the game progressed, we / I became more and more frustrated. The pitch seemed a bit slippy and one or two players had made the wrong choice of studs, once again we were far too deep and kept as many as eight players back on occasions, and for long periods we seemed content to thump long balls to Dan in the hope he could work miracles (he could!). It didn't help that the pitch was enclosed by an athletics track (we were so far away and high up from the pitch we needed opera glasses to watch the match properly), and it took ages for the ball to be retrieved, especially when City were ahead.

We were surprised to see Sammy subbed for Joe late on, as Kofi had a very quiet game (apart from a sting in the tail), but Joe injected some much needed pace and determination into our play. Kyle had a great game and made a superb save to keep us just one behind and then, in the 87th, City deliberately tried to time-waste by playing a succession of passes backwards, but it resulted in a back pass which the keeper couldn't pick up. Dan legged it, nicked the ball from under the keeper's nose and tucked it home.

I'd have settled for a draw after that but, in the 93rd minute, Kofi played a lovely diagonal ball to Ed on the left, his cross was met firecely by Dan's head and the ball hit the bar, bounced a foot over the line and back onto the pitch. After what I'd seen before, i was sure the 'lino' wouldn't give a goal as the ref didn't, but the 'lino' indicated a goal straight away.Virtually the only thing he did right all evening.

A wonderful, gutsy display against a very unconvincing City team on the night, and the first team to take points away from The Spectrum so far this season. Mind you, if the officiating's like that every home game, no wonder City won the first five. Never mind - bring on Godalmighty. I'm ready!

I forgot to say - this was the first time I stopped a tannoy announcer mid-flow! The chap was still giving his pre-match info when I did my "Yes! The Ashford! " bit without realising he hadn't finished. He then went through the crowd doing the golden goal sale when I pulled out the ticket for the first minute, three minutes into the match! Having jokingly said I'd phone "Panorama" he immediately let me have another go, then told me he stopped doing his announcement when I yelled because he thought I was going to heckle him! Bless him - I'm raucous, but not that raucous!

Archived