Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Fleet sunk!

kevchenko

Well that was a damp squib, match called off at 2pm as the referee not happy with the far end goal mouth... :(

Had a brief chat with Joe Bennett on the way out as he was waiting for lift back to Potters Bar and he didn't think that it was that bad....

I walked out to have a look. There was a patch in the six yard box that was soft sandy mud. Perfectly playable. The ref was worried that if someone gets injured he can be held liable! The game at this level better have a 3 month winter break, because if that pitch is a danger then I am a supermodel called Gertrude Von Snatch! BOTH teams wanted to play. The ref either didnt fancy it or has basically bottled it because of the assessor. Gutted!

Not my usual practice to post on other clubs forums as there are too many trolls around making stupid partisan disrespectful comments

However I did want to share our frustration at the unbelieveable decision to call the match off at the last minute on Saturday and to apologise to all you Ashford guys who made the wasted journey [including the team of course]

If I know anything about it I would guarantee that our groundsman worked his socks off both Friday and Saturday to produce a pitch which could easily have been played on

You might well ask why there was no pitch inspection in the morning but I promise you, it was not thought necessary because there was no question in anyones mind that it wasn't playable

The consensus amongst all of us who saw it was that is was fine

It's crazy that ours was the only game called off in our division because - and I think fatboyatmfc nailed it - he was being over zealous because of the assessor

Apart from the complete waste of everyone's time and petrol money do these fools not appreciate that small clubs at our level need those few quid generated by games to survive?

You are on a roll, we've put a couple of results together and wanted to avenge our drubbing at your place, all set for a good game - then some Petty Minded Fool intervenes but unfortunately a PMF with the abilty to make the final decision

Sorry again, look forward to the rescheduled game - probably around mid June if this is the any indication of what we are to expect of referees decisions on pitches

Yes I felt sorry for the groundsman who had obviously worked hard to get the pitch playable. And the tea bar lady who had started cooking!! If the ref is unsure of the safety of the pitch but the players want to play then there needs to be a form designed that all players can sign before the game that states that they are happy to play in the conditions and take responsibility. That pitch was a danger to no one.

• 2 months later...

Will this fixture ever get played :huh:

Although it was the same ref that cancelled the game last time, according to Ben it was too wet to play this time. I wish this young ref could have seen what we played on at Aylesbury!

Archived