Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Looking past and forward

Swifty

Hi folks.

Still failing the fitness test - tonight's social gathering was cancelled due to various people being ill, including me, and I wouldn't have made it to Uxbridge due to health reasons. Still, for what it's worth...

A useful couple of results this week. A morale-boosting win over NGU (sounds like 'the flying skip' gifted us two goals but stopped countless others), and a valuable chance to try out the cup final pitch at Uxbridge four days before the big event - that would have been a big boost to the team, to know they got 90 minutes on the surface before Staines Town even set foot on it, and they'll know in advance how the ball will bounce and how the grass has been cut. I've never played the game properly, but I know how these things can have a positive mental and psychological effect on our lads.

One good thing to learn from this week is that we haven't closed games out, conceding in the last five minutes of both midweek games, denying Tyler a clean sheet on his full debut (if I was him, I'd be furious) and losing us two points at Honeycroft, and that must be stemmed right away. We need to learn right now to stay focussed for the entire 90, or 120 if needs be, plus stoppages and maybe penalties, if we're going to win that cup.

If I was Burgo - and I'm not, but let me dream - I'd play a rotation squad against Woodford, resting our most valuable players but still picking those who want to play while giving some of the exciting prospects a game - e.g. Tyler in goal, Robbo in defence, runouts for Tommy and Perry. I'd also remind the lads that Woodford have conceded over four a game on average and, seeing as we won 2-0 away there, nothing less than 6-0 would do on Saturday to make up our average. Make sure the team stay sharp as, you never know, a good performance by a squad player on Saturday might just result in a surprise start for the big final.

As for the big day, I've got no ill feelings towards Staines Town. They helped us out big time in our Combined Counties days by letting us use Wheatsheaf Lane for county cup ties (how ironic) and, when we won promotion to the Isthmian League in 2000, their chairman Alan Boon and manager Chris Wainwright turned up at our club, congratulated us and sat down with our committee to tell them at length how things were run differently in our new league. How many teams would take the time out to help out a neighbour and potential rival? It sounds like Monday will be a friendly final and a family final - I hope it's competitive and I'm desperate for us to win, but i'm glad we've got such good neighbours, and long may that continue.

Eddie -

Saturday's game scares me because I am tempted to look at their (Woodford's) record and look for a cricket or rugby score in our favour.

However, it is not just a potential banana skin, but a whole load of bananas. I am sure that Burgo and Batts have hammered that message home to our players.

I agree about Monday's Final being a friendly one, and good on both clubs to recognise that. I look forward to learning of the result and (hopefully) another piece of silverware.

Has the Chairman been asked to do the after match catering? Personally, I will not benefit but remain confused by casseroles, stews, hotpots (or in the case of the Burnham player who crocked Jack Mullan for several months), a***holes.

Good luck on Monday, lads.

Archived