Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Curfews 1 Ash Trees 1

Swifty

A slightly disappointing result in the end, but a hard fought and deserved point at least.

Both teams seemed to acquit themselves better playing down the slope. Chertsey were niggly in the first half (but better after the break), assisted in part by that ref who creamed us for way too much in expenses for the Middlesex Senior Cup semi (yes, that ref with the dad from Hell) who was a bit too lenient early on although, in fairness, his final warning to Chertsey's number 9 worked. We played well enough using a different formation to the norm, but the final ball or final touch was lacking far too often. Chertsey took the lead in the 14th when we lost the ball in midfield and that number 9, John Flood, unleashed a lead weight of a low shot across goal from 25 yards out and very few keepers would have had an Earthly with it. We had enough possession in the first half, but our shooting was high and wayward apart from a great effort by Sammy brilliantly saved by Gary Ross - remember him? Chertsey gave us several scares and I was happy for us to go in just the one down.

Obviously, Burgo wasn't. The lads must have got a half-time rocket as we played with great purpose and dominated the second half territorially. We equalised in the 52nd when a bit of pinball in the box resulted in Javonne stabbbing the ball home. From then, only a couple of great saves prevented us winning, and Javonne was unlucky when a fine dipping effort from 20 yards clipped the top of the bar. Sammy was replaced by Bitz very early in the second half due to injury, and Bitz played his part along with Matt, Javonne and especially Alex in terrorising their back four. I desperately wanted my MOTM Alex to thump it home with his left and ram Gary Ross's 'only a left footer' taunts down his throat! As for Chertsey, I was mightily impressed with "Yasser " Arafat Kabuye, who played one match for us some years back and had a fine game on their left wing.

You're not confusing Gary Ross with Craig Ross are you? Chertsey's Ross, an excellent keeper, as he showed last night, has played for Bedfont and North Greenford in the past but has never played for us. Craig's dad is called Gary as well so that maybe the confusion.

Archived