Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Talk about it being a tough division...

Swifty

What must Slough Town be thinking!

Their points total would have been good enough for runners-up in both the other Southern League divisions, the Isthmian Premier and both Northern Premier League regional divisions, plus 3rd place in the Isthmian Div 1 South and, er, Northern Premier Premier and 4th in the Isthmian Div 1 North. In our division, 26 wins and 83 points weren't even good enough for the play-offs!

Admittedly, the points were slightly skewed this season because of Woodford United Nil but, even so, Slough (and Royston Town, for that matter) must feel deflated - as, I guess, must Guildford City, early pace-setters who fell away really badly.

When we played at Guildford, there committee thought that they were in a bit of a false position and were keeping there feet firmly on the ground. They said that they had had the rub of the green in a lot of games. However I think they have done very well in what was a tough division this year.

True, City acclimatised very well in their debut season, and I wasn't aware of their committee's earlier viewpoint. However, they did seem to run out of puff while, conversely, North Greenford United got fed up of losing games and put together an excellent end-of-season run to stick Leighton Town into penultimate place.

Archived