Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Cray Wanderers 2-1 Canvey Island

A game of two halves last night which in the end we were unfortunate not to get something out of.

First half was a disappointment. They scored early on which seemed to knock us and make us play ultra defensively for the rest of the half. Spencer Bellotti seemed like he was tied to the half way line, and our tactic seemed to be to lump everything forwards to Simon Thomas, who to be fair had an excellent game. They scored a second but luckily Nashy pulled one back before the break.

Second half everything changed. We were pressing them high up the pitch and closing them down much quicker, and with this were forcing Cray into mistakes that they didn't make in the first half when they had all the time in the world to pick their passes. Simon Thomas and Spencer Bellotti both had headers which they should have scored, and Thomas also had a shot well blocked on it's route to goal.

Emeka had the ball in the net at the death following Ty Smith's free kick, but unfortunately the flag was up for offside.

Cray's keeper Andy Walker (or Andy W@nker as he shall from this point forwards be known) didn't cover himself in glory, swearing at the Canvey fans when the goal was disallowed. It had all been good banter until that point so it was a shame. Fortunately this incident did provide us with the moment when Powelly threatened to knife Walker...wow!

The referee was poor but equally so for both sides. He did however allow Cray to waste a huge amount of time throughout the match and then only added on three minutes at the end. He was poor when we had him at our place last season and hasn't improved.

As for our tactics, I would like to have seen us go for a more like for like replacement for Rio Bryan-Edwards. We ended up moving Humphrey from left back to centre back, Dumas from left mid to left back and put Jay Nash in at left mid. I've always thought that all of this moving players positions from one game to the next can't help. For example, Dumas had to totally change his mindset from attacking left winger to defensive left back. I would rather replaced RBE with either Alaile/Baucutt/Sands, left Humphrey at left back and chosen from Dumas or Nash at left mid.

The tough games keep coming with Lewes away and then Lowestoft & Billericay at home, need to get up and running sooner rather than later.

Out of interest, where is George Artemi? Will he play in tonight's friendly?

I know he's only played one friendly but he did appear to have some pace and appears to be a box to box player. I wouldn't mind seeing him tried at centre-half if Rio is out for any longer.

I imagine he will play tonight, lacking fitness apparently. Not sure if he did a pre-season elsewhere?

For me we have good alternatives at CB who are fit. My preference would be big Mike, bags of experience and would do a job. Saying that, I was impressed with Baucutt when he came on against Kingstonian.

The meat cleaver and scream mask are ready, lol!!

Really poor show from their keeper. Could understand it if he had been getting a load of abuse but what banter he got he seemed to enjoy and then all of a sudden he turned for no real reason.

Seems a real Jekyll and Hyde character.

First half we didn't get going. The early wonder goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of us and for the first 35 minutes we were chasing shadows.

Second half was much better but we didn't really do enough to test their keeper.

Highlights from the Cray game are available online - http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/craywands/videos/cray-wanderers-v-canvey-island-201314-season-42806.html?source=related

Looks like we played some really nice football to create several chances in the second half but took that extra step or hesistated that extra half second to shoot.

Archived