Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Do you like Pitchero websites?

Beano

I don't. But, then again, you probably knew that.

I got an email that reminded me that it's six years to the day since I took over the management of the club's website, after Len Wellard found that he had computer problems that prevented him from updating the club's old website. Nor was he the first to manage the club's online presence; Terry Ryan had also done a sterling job of putting the club's name out there.

But, necessity being the mother of invention, when Len's laptop went to the great server farm in the sky, I was asked if I could step in. Half a decade (and five different designs) later, I am but a few months from relinquishing the role of Website Manager myself. This post is therefore to ask for one person (or a group of people) to take on the role.

It's not as if I generate or upload all of the content myself these days - Alan Constable and Mark Tobin are both doing fine work in that respect - but there are a good number of pages that I update on a match by match basis, plus various technical tasks that need doing. Some of these, like the League Tables, are once or twice a week while others are periodical. Regardless, someone needs to do them and, after this season, it won't be me...

What I do in website terms is not massively time-consuming these days (thanks chiefly to the good work of others), but is important in terms of keeping the site up to date and current.  However, it is hugely rewarding and, if we don't maintain the current site, then a generic Pitchero effort is probably the only alternative. Do we want that for our club?

So, why should you volunteer for the role of Website Manager? Simply because, if you like this kind of challenge, you can have the opportunity to build on an existing project and put your own stamp on it, whilst also helping your club. By stepping up now, you can benefit from a handover period, where I will happily meet with whoever comes forward and provide training on how the site works prior to stepping back at the end of the season. I'll also provide occasional technical support on an ongoing basis and, if wanted, do one last redesign at the end of the season.

What skills do you need? Some knowledge of website authoring and HTML would help but isn't essential, although the ability to copy and paste is! You need a computer - trying to update the site on a mobile is possible, but painful - and you need time. I would say that, depending on the approach taken, a minimum of 1-2 hours each week is required, plus additional time in pre-season (how much being driven by the amount of change required).

"I can do that!" Brilliant! In which case, send me a private message via this Forum or email general dot secretary at atmfc dot co dot uk and we'll have an informal exchange of messages to identify the next steps.

Thanks for reading.

Archived