Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gladiators Choose Hume To Succeed Departed Duo

FF News

Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Premier Division club Matlock Town have appointed Mark Hume as their new manager.

The 36-year-old has been brought in to replace Dave Rushbury and Martin Foster who left the Autoworld Arena by mutual consent yesterday.

Hume had been assistant to John Deacey at Bradford Park Avenue for four and a half years, with the pair guiding Avenue into Conference North in the 2009-10 season.

But Hume, who began as a professional with Doncaster Rovers, had a long and distinguished career as a no-nonsense central defender and left the Horsfall Stadium expressing a desire to be a managerial number one instead of a number two.

He was part of the Eastwood Town side who reached the third round of the FA Cup in 2008-09 and won the Northern Premier League Premier Division title in the same season.

His other clubs include Alfreton Town, Barrow, Stalybridge Celtic, Buxton and Harrogate Town.

Hume hopes to confirm the rest of his managerial team before his first game in charge when Ashton United visit the Autoworld Arena on Saturday.

He watched The Gladiators' surprise 3-1 Derbyshire Senior Cup victory at Conference neighbours Alfreton Town on Tuesday, seeing both good and bad points in his new team's display.

He said: "We played some good football on a heavy pitch but the game did indicate to me why we are where we are in the league. I've spotted a few things which I can put over to the players, which we'll be looking to put right. We need to be better organised, we leave the back door open and we need to think a bit more about what we're doing."

Source: Ian Richardson

Source

Archived