Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

McConville Next Six Points Define The Season For Chester

FF News

SEAN McCONVILLE believes Chester's next two games can define the club's league campaign.

The 25-year-old attacker is keen to see the Blues building on their four-game unbeaten run by securing success at Lincoln City on Saturday and at home to Eastleigh on February 21.

McConville has scored eight goals in 38 league and cup appearances this term and is determined to retain his place in the starting line up between now and the end of the season.

"Macca (Jon McCarthy) stressed in training on Monday that six points from our next two games would be a massive bonus and I totally agree with him," McConville said.

"If we can beat Lincoln this weekend and then beat Eastleigh on the following Saturday then I think it will go a long way to determining where we will end up in the league table.

"Every player in the Chester squad has aspirations of pushing for a play off place and I think four points from our next two games would be great, but six points would provide a boost and incentive to kick on.

"I think a lot of results at the weekend favoured us and I feel we are in the ascendancy because we have points in the bag and that's far better than games in hand."

McConville, who scored for the Blues in their 4-0 home league win against Lincoln on January 27, revealed that Chester have organised a behind doors friendly today against Fleetwood Town and the Blues were planning another friendly game tomorrow as they prepare for this weekend's match at Sincil Bank.

He added: "I think Saturday's game at Lincoln will be a lot tougher than the last time we met them.

"We turned them over at our place, but I think we'll face a different game at Lincoln because they have got a good home record.

"I know Lincoln will probably want to make a lot of the fact that they finished the game with nine players, but that's no excuse for getting beat

4-0 and if they feel that way then I think it's a cop out.

"When it was 11 versus 11 I still thought we looked by far the better team and we thoroughly deserved all three points.

"We've been flying since then and all the Chester lads are in a really positive frame of mind after a brilliant four game unbeaten run."

McConville has only missed two Chester games so far this season and he is keen to feature in all of the club's remaining 13 fixtures.

He said: "I've been pleased with my performances recently, but I know I can't afford to take my foot off the gas because there is a lot of competition for places in the squad.

"Everyone is so competitive in training sessions and wanting to impress the gaffer.

"The new lads have all looked good and our substitutes bench is as strong as it has ever been.

"Our skipper, Matty Brown, returned to training on Monday and he's looking to get back into the starting line up on Saturday.

"Everyone is fighting for a shirt which is really healthy because before Christmas we were struggling with people injured or suspended."

Source

Archived